Need opinions for 4-H boy

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4-H chicken mom, Oct 23, 2007.

1. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    One of my 4-H kids has ask me this question? If he were to ordered some baby bantams today, he is trying to get a hen to go with his cockerel, would he have enough time to get her up to broody time to hatch her own eggs by late next summer? I told him I would post his question. I was not sure on the age when bantams become fertile. I thought he was cutting it a little close and that chickens don't always follow the same time tables. What do you think I could tell this young man?

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    My one banty went broody at 5 months and hatched out 4 chicks so with luck you should have time. You will never know unless you try.

3. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    If there's a rooster around, the eggs will most likely be fertile when the hen starts laying.

The one thing you can't guarantee is whether the hen will go broody. If the hen is one of the breeds more prone to broodiness (like Silkies) your chances are better, but there's still no guarantee. The only way to to guarantee it is to get an incubator.

4. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    It depends. If he is counting on her to go broody, she won't. If he really was counting on her laying, she will go broody.

Best way in my experience to make a hen go broody is to promise somebody a dozen eggs.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You can't really predict when a hen will go broody.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I didn't think to ask him what he was looking for. What other bantams, beside the Silkies that someone already said, are a good broody hens and which ones are not so good broody hens?
    Thanks

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Japanese are good broodies. They are a hard breed to get right because of their legs, though. D'uccles are supposed to be good, too. I've heard mixed reports on the game bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by