Need opinions from Landlords and Tenants - SORRY LONGWINDED

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by australorpchick, Jul 18, 2011.

1. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    Hello all! It's getting close to the time where we need to decide if we're willing to renew the lease with our tenants. I don't know how the tenants feel or what they're planning, so we're trying to decide what we want to do. I've never been a Landlord before and I've never rented, so I'm not quite sure what is more or less the norm. These people can be what I consider a nightmare, but in actuality, be dream tenants, or vice versa. DH is fine giving them the boot, but I'm the one who does just about everything: repairs, painting, cleaning, collecting, applications, legalities, etc., so I feel I have a bit more of a vote than he does.

Here's why I think we should drop them like hot potatoes:
    1. We accept 3 pets, more upon approval. They called with 2 dogs and 2 cats, at the appointment it was 3 cats, after move-in turned out to be 5 cats.
    2. Deposit check - bounced, they notified us and paid the required fee and deposit in cash
    3. 1st Month rent - was post dated (as approved), but short $50 dollars. Recitified asap with cash.
    4. Pet deposit - we negotiated down to a very, very fair amount and accepted a payment date of 10 days after move-in. On that day, I received a request if they could pay late, because they had to take their dog to the vet. I refused, they paid that evening with cash.
    5. They hassled us for 2 weeks regarding the burn pile in our empty lot next to the rental. They wanted us to pay to have it hauled to the dump. I explained to them that the lot was not part of the rental agreement (they we're given a copy of the survey w/ the lease agreement) and therefore, they have no say in what I chose to do with my property. They offered to haul it away themselves, I agreed, provided they pay for all of it. Turned out it was more than they wanted to pay. We eventually agreed to let the teenage boys we hire on the weekends, spend 2 hours moving the brush pile to another pile of the empty lot.
    6. They complained that the 20-odd year old electric stove is burning their food. I call in our warranty service. They adjust the oven exhaust fan, but don't fix the stove. I call the warranty service again and this time, the repair tech orders new parts and installs that on the stove. They are now complaining that they're still burning their food. My advice to them was to dial down the knob. Both repair techs said the stove is fine, just old, no safety issues and that the tenants are just used to cooking with gas, not electric. We eventually will replace the stove, but the current stove is drop in, and to replace it with one with the same dimensions would cost around $1500. We want to install a freestanding range, but will have to remove cabinetry and countertop, in order to make the space. We do not want to do this while someone is living there.
    7. The tenant is now hinting around about the hard water. I know what they want, they want a water softener. Not gonna happen.

Here's why I think we might want to keep them:

1. After the first month, they have paid their rent and utilities on time.

What do you think, should we keep them? Any opinions and input would be greatly valued.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd give them notice and start looking for someone else.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:X2

4. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    I would keep them. I would also have a new lease in place regarding the pets. Are you raising their rent? that may get them to reconcider staying there they may leave. Also as far as the water goes tell them to buy a water filter for the faucet or a brita pitcher lol.

5. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    Quote:[​IMG] Concur! Hard water is an annoyance, not a health risk and not something that you should be responsible for. Not even considering the cost of a whole house system, and depending on what you get, NEXT you'll be expected to supply salt, replace expensive filters... [​IMG]

Can't really say about renewing or booting: It is a gamble cuz you don't know who's next, but they also seem kinda needy/demanding. Maybe continue with a month by month so you each have options... [​IMG]

I've usually been on the different end of the deal: My last landlady was always coming to us to help HER fix stuff, asking DH to hang around cuz her ex was coming by, etc, and she wouldn't keep her dog tied but mine had to be. Her great dane would come in the kitchen thru the garage and dump my trash, but when I yelled at the dog, she told ME I was out of line. [​IMG]

Kewl dog; witch of a landlady. I left by choice...

Good Luck with this...

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I would do what you feel is best to do, and what you are most comfortable with. It sounds like there is reason to get new tenants, but that keeping them would be fine too for you. Either way, I would personally go out and check the stove. If nothing else, you can show them how to cook with electric, but even if you get new tenants, I personally would like to see how a stove on one of my properties handles. [​IMG]

7. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    I say keep them.... with the economic client as it is!

We have three rentals.... one is unoccupied (We use it as storage), and and two more. We are the cheapest landlords in town! Basically, we start at how much each property's utility bills are. Once we hit $0, (Utility fees plus the rental income) we are happy. Then we can raise it as high as we want in order to keep our price competitive.

Basically, I say keep them, as their rent pays for any/all the fees. If this is not the case, and you are pulling money out of your pocket, I'd raise the rent or kick them out. [​IMG]

8. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I would keep them. They pay on time. From what I read they sound like there taking care of the place and not makeing it into a disaster. My grandparents have rentals and the ones that need to be kicked out are the ones that cause problems or distroy your property. Or don't pay for a month etc. I can understand they want to make sure the place looks good and that the property is clean etc. We get yelled at if the lawn grows to high or we don't shovel as soon as it snows. I would however raise there rent a bit and tell them that there rental money is going to upgradeing the property and makeing it even better. My grandparents do the same thing If somethign breaks its repaired asap.

However its always up to you. However I really susgest raising the rent unless its already up there and also letting them know that your slowly working on projects to improve the property and that ther esusgestions are welcome but they can't be out of line [​IMG]

cef.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    As a renter, I would leave. There's not a good match between yourself and the renter and the renter will not stay where they do not feel welcome or at least listened to. There are thousands of places available to live and if willing to look, the renter can generally find a spot they will like better and will feel better in.

I would ask the tenant about their intentions and that you intend to end the lease at the end of the agreed lease terms. If they wish to remain where they are, they must pay an extra $100 per month as it is a month-by-month basis at that point.

10. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If rent is coming in on time for a year now and all they do is hint at a new stove then they sound like good tenants. You could do a lot worse. All you have to say is the stove is staying and works properly and they'll have to arrange their own sink water filter if they feel they need one. Seriously, after a few decades dealing with tenants all I can say is you could do much worse and if tenants are not paying a lease wont get them out any faster nor does it guaranty you recouping damage to property.

If your uncertain about keeping them then simply don't renew the lease and go month by month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by