Need opinions on best types of knives to process chickens...asap.

hatchaholic

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
South Carolina
Okay, this has probably been asked before, but I am running out of time... I want to know what kind of knife (knives) I need to make butchering as easy as possible. We butchered the first roo last weekend. We thought the knife was sharp, but not nearly sharp enough. I'm by no means an expert on knives, so I need some good opinions so I don't waste my money at the store. Can anyone help?

Thanks!!!

Can't give you a brand name, but just look for a high quality knife. And also buy a knife sharpening kit. there is a technique to sharpening your knifes, but it is a very good investment.

Thanks. Not necessarily looking for a brand, but the type. Do I need a butcher knife, a chef's knife, a fillet knife??? I have no clue...

I just use my stainless steel kitchen knives, well-sharpened. They loose their edge pretty quickly during the processing, so I keep my knife sharpener right on the table for quick tune-ups.

I use a butchers knife. I think it is German made. I bought it new from a local butcher shop. It is kinda like a filet knife but not as flexible. The blade is slightly curved up.

Works great for small and big work. I used it for chicken to deer size game.

Dain

Good kitchen scissors can do many of the jobs, from cutting off the heads & feet to cutting through the skin for cleaning out the carcasses. But I'm still looking for a really good pair. The ones I used last time worked very well with the first bird, for both the joints & skin. But they were too dulled to work well with the second bird. I may try next time to have one pair to use for joints & save another one to use for cutting skin.

For most of the job you don't need a knife that's long or heavy, just sharp.

Back
Top Bottom