Need opinions on best types of knives to process chickens...asap.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hatchaholic, May 8, 2009.

1. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Okay, this has probably been asked before, but I am running out of time... I want to know what kind of knife (knives) I need to make butchering as easy as possible. We butchered the first roo last weekend. We thought the knife was sharp, but not nearly sharp enough. I'm by no means an expert on knives, so I need some good opinions so I don't waste my money at the store. Can anyone help?

Thanks!!!

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Can't give you a brand name, but just look for a high quality knife. And also buy a knife sharpening kit. there is a technique to sharpening your knifes, but it is a very good investment.

3. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks. Not necessarily looking for a brand, but the type. Do I need a butcher knife, a chef's knife, a fillet knife??? I have no clue...

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
  5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I just use my stainless steel kitchen knives, well-sharpened. They loose their edge pretty quickly during the processing, so I keep my knife sharpener right on the table for quick tune-ups.

6. Riparian

Riparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    I do all mine with a small 4" hunting blade. Its a ka-bar long point prescion hunter.

7. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    I use a 5'' Schrade skinning knife. I like it well.

8. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I use a butchers knife. I think it is German made. I bought it new from a local butcher shop. It is kinda like a filet knife but not as flexible. The blade is slightly curved up.

Works great for small and big work. I used it for chicken to deer size game.

Dain

9. acheeknmanbestfren

acheeknmanbestfren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    I use a 5" boning knife. It fits my hand well and did the job nicely.

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Good kitchen scissors can do many of the jobs, from cutting off the heads & feet to cutting through the skin for cleaning out the carcasses. But I'm still looking for a really good pair. The ones I used last time worked very well with the first bird, for both the joints & skin. But they were too dulled to work well with the second bird. I may try next time to have one pair to use for joints & save another one to use for cutting skin.

For most of the job you don't need a knife that's long or heavy, just sharp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by