Need opinions on selling

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ninjapoodles, Mar 3, 2009.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    OK, here's the deal, please tell me what you think.

My flock is currently in its first year of production, so I am a newbie, a rank beginner. I have a flock of copper black Marans, and I am really enjoying them. I have culled, culled, and culled again, so that what I'm working with in the Marans pen right now is a group of 6 hens and 2 roosters. I originally started with 12 hens and 8 roosters. What I'm left with are my "top picks," so to speak. Later this year, I'm going to split this pen into two pens, and hatch two separate lines. But right now, I'd like to just hatch more birds with the 8 that are all together.

I'd also like to sell some eggs to other people, and monitor the progress of all the chicks, whether they're here or elsewhere. Here's my dilemma:

I am completely uncomfortable with the price of Marans hatching eggs, and can't really make myself charge the "going rate." Also, since I'm in my first year here, I don't feel like I have the standing to do that--I've bred enough horses and dogs to know that phenotype isn't enough to judge your stock, and that the proof is in the pudding. I don't have any pudding yet. [​IMG]

On the other hand, I don't want Marans breeders to be upset with me for offering eggs for far less than the going rate. Honestly, I don't feel that I'm competing with long-term, established breeders of quality livestock, because I'm not offering a time-tested line of birds.

There are so many people who want these birds right now, and I just don't see why they shouldn't have them, without sacrificing an arm and a leg, with the understanding that you get what you pay for, and while my birds are producing a gorgeous dark egg, I can't predict the future as far as them being exhibition quality, or anything like that. I've given away quite a few of these eggs, but honestly the hassle of packing and shipping them is, for me, significant, and I need to make it worth my while.

So...if I were to sell some BCM hatching eggs for, say, $30/dozen (with only 6 hens, this wouldn't be a too-frequent thing) during this trial, would that be too much? Would it be too little? Should I even care what other people are doing?

It seems to me like it can only do the breed good to get the birds into as many hands as possible...is there a downside to that line of reasoning? The "top breeders" will always be the top breeders, right?

2. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Eh, don't worry about what everyone else is doing. If you wanna sell them for 50 cents, sell them for 50 cents (just let me be first in line, please? [​IMG]). If you want to sell them for less, maybe market them as a sort of test type of eggs. Explain what you just explained. I can only speak for myself, but I appreciate someone being upfront and honest, as you have just done.

[​IMG]

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    like you said, you are not going to make or break any of the established breeders/sellers. These are your birds you have the right to charge what you feel is fair. We can either buy them or not. I will be more than happy to be your tester [​IMG]

( whispers: put me on your list when you do start to sell, please, seriously).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    In my opinion I say do what YOU think is best for you. If people get angry it's their problem not yours. Maybe as you get more established and you feel more comfortable you can up your price. At least this way being a newbie at this you don't have to feel like you are overcharging anyone becasue you certainly are not. I like people like you who would just like to sell so others can have their dark brown eggs that they want [​IMG] Good for you [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    BTW DITTO THIS!

( whispers: put me on your list when you do start to sell, please, seriously).​

6. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks, y'all. I'll probably put an offer up over the weekend. I was thinking, with my 6 hens, I could probably do better offering a flat-rate box with 8 eggs, rather than a dozen plus extras...I might be able to get more shipments out then. I haven't taken any pictures of just Marans eggs yet, but there are a couple in this pic. I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting.

Natural outdoor light, no flash, no photo editing:

[​IMG]

7. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Just go ahead and put me down for the first offer [​IMG] I will paypal ASAP !!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They're your birds...you can sell their eggs for whatever price you want. The "going" price for the BC's is so blown out of reality that it isn't even funny. A lot of people who only recently got the breed are making some quick bucks off a fad right now.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  9. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Depending on what the line is and what the shell color is, at $30 a dozen you may be giving them away. As you can see by the other answers at that low of a price for Copper Blacks you will be swamped with orders. In my opinion the people that complain most and the loudest about the cost of Marans eggs have no idea what goes into breeding and keeping going a line of birds. But then again you can charge what you want, there isn't a set price scale.

Steve in NC

10. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:I agree with Katy. I have BLRW that are laying and When I do start selling there eggs, I don't believe charging $60 for them is fair. That is a little to much, even though they came from show quaility stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by