Need opinions on this cage

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Moxiechick, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    I'm about to list a cage on Craigslist, that I had built to house a chameleon. I was wondering what other animals it could be appropriate for, so I can tag the listing to attract more viewers.

It is built from wood with screening for 3 sides, hardware cloth on the top (to be able to hold lights), and the back is plywood with cork panels. The plexiglass panel slides out to serve as both a door and viewing window. A small lizard such as a day gecko would easily be able to slip out between the plexiglass and the wood frame. (Old world chameleons are big and slow, so this was not considered an issue when building the cage.) Can anyone think of other animals that could be housed in this, either as is or with some minor moderations? Thanks! [​IMG]

The cage without the plexiglass.
    [​IMG]

With the plexiglass half in on its sliders.
    [​IMG]

Detail of top of the frame.
    [​IMG]

Vines
    [​IMG]

The backside. (Speckled Sussex not included! [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

What are the dimensions?

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    i wreckon with a few small alterations it would make a great snake cage.

4. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:It's roughly 4'x4'x12". It might be slightly wider, but I'm waiting until morning to go out and check!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:It's roughly 4'x4'x12". It might be slightly wider, but I'm waiting until morning to go out and check!

I was thinking rabbits, but not with those dimensions.

6. nubbin

nubbin Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    That's really beautiful. Animal-wise, I think it's best suited for reptiles (lizards, anoles, geckos, some frogs (desert kind given how open the cage is) given the way the doors open, the overall design, etc. It could also make a beautiful terrarium using plant species that don't need high humidity.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Snake or lizard...what about rats/mice? Sugar Gliders? Things that like to climb....

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    One ferret that you let out a lot?

9. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    I was thinking sugar gliders as well but I am not sure if they could possibly escape. You said a day gecko probably could...sugar gliders are a lot larger but just as quick and nimble.

10. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    replace the front slidy bit with hardware cloth and insert a small door...add a few perchs...could it not be used to house some small birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by