Need Opinions On This Electric Heater

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Boyd, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    http://www.one2fit.com/en_2_cat79_sub123_product2363.htm

this
    is an electric heater I am thinking of purchasing. Currently I have propane and it runs me 400/month on the budget payment plan. This is with plastic over all the windows etc.

This unit averages $1.00 to $1.50/day and heats up to 1000 sq foot. So they say.......... Looking for opinions and experiences. If it is as good as it says, then the $450 price tag would about pay for itself in the first two or three months of hard winter.

Does anyone use anything that is better maybe?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We use propane too and the winter is VERY costly. That unit is really attractive! We haven't explored other options, just figured we were stuck with it.

3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought that electric heat was even more expensive than other options. We have a woodstove to supplement our "heat pump" system (which the heat pump has emergency electric heat also). I think having a kerosene heater is good for real cold spells and emergency heat when electric is out.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Were putting in used wood stove this winter. I'm hoping it helps with the oil bill!

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Just a thought... you might get more hits on this thread if you put it in the coop section, and change the header to "Need opinions on this heater"... [​IMG] I don't heat, so I can't comment, other than ALL methods of heating are #*$& expensive. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Go Geothermal. I heat 5000 sq ft for around $60/mo. It's GREEN and it's the future!

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    IDK about that one. We have an electric one we use in the bathrooms. I think ours cost 40$ and we have had it for 3 years.

We have a wood burning heater. We have had it for 9 years now and it works awesome. We don't have any heating costs for the winter. We cut down our own firewood so we don't even have that for a cost. It is nice not to worry about heating bills....if only we could figure out some AC that isn't costly LOL

8. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:i believe thats what our heat pump system is... although its 20 years old and in need of replacing. There might be some variations of this type of heating and cooling i believe... so maybe your geothermal works differently than our heat pump. I believe ours does not extract from underground - just ambient air. And it must be different because I can't imagine quoting our heat bill as $60 a month. definately not in the winter. we still see $200+ on our electric bill

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Whats the cost of putting in a geothermal system usually?

10. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Goe system is high, some say it pays off in the long run though.
    One of my Dh's friend put one in his 2400 sq. foot home and their bill is higher than ours [​IMG]. We have a heat pump on our system. Although we are currently in the process of putting in a woodstove this week. I hate paying a high electric bill [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by