Need opinions re: shipping eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by halo, Jan 15, 2009.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Is anyone shipping eggs now or tomorrow? Does the absolute frigid weather stop you or not? I have eggs that I can send out tomorrow and another order for Saturday, but I just dont know if I should. I dont mind shipping in seasonable winter weather, but this frigid Arctic bone-chilling dangerous stuff, I just dont know if its a good idea. What thinks all you egg shippers?

2. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    I have suspended a couple of my shipments for a couple of days until this weather breaks. I just feel that with these sub-zero temps that even well packed eggs would freeze solid if for any reason they were to sit outside for even an hour. As an example, a weather related airline delay could possibly have packages on a pallet outside for a period of time. There are of course many other scenarios that could have priority packages exposed. With these extreme temps, it doesn't take long for things to freeze. Just ask anybody who has to water their chickens this time of year in these extremes.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks, mille. Thats my sentiments exactly. I think I will do the same.

4. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

As a receiver of eggs, I would rather have them 2 days older than have to worry about them having been frozen. [​IMG]

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks, Tonya. These eggs wont be any older, Ill use fresher eggs, Im just afraid of sending anything right now. Bad bad weather for all involved.

6. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Fortunately mine aren't ready to ship yet, but if they were, I would wait until Saturday.
    ~Rebecca

7. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I am not shipping out until Tuesday , the P.O. is cosed on Monday but by then it will be a lot warmer here in Ga .

8. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I am waiting till Tuesday. Its just too cold and you don't know where they may spend the nights!: [​IMG]

9. GaHermit

GaHermit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Hoboken Ga
    I am in Ga and have delayed shipping even to Fl. If an egg drops in temp. chances are it wont hatch. Any temp below 50%F is all most fatal. All my eggs to Fl. go through Jax. during the night. Temp there at night will be below that till the end of the week.

Herm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by