Need Opinions/Suggestions On a letter to Village Council!

Stephie-Pie

Chirping
Dec 25, 2020
Camden, OH
Okay, So I have a letter I plan to send to every council member, including the mayor, of my village soon. (They currently do not allow chickens on residential properties) The PDF is what I have so far... Any Suggestions/Edits/Changes you think I should make?? Please, keep in mind I am trying to offer incentive to the council as well as get what us chicken keepers want so I am proposing rules that meet in the middle. ALSO I am not a professional at this kinda stuff... I'm just your average person so I have no clue how to write this stuff all professional-like...lol (I did my best!)

Attachments

• Letter to village council .pdf
    62.5 KB · Views: 24
Okay, So I have a letter I plan to send to every council member, including the mayor, of my village soon. (They currently do not allow chickens on residential properties) The PDF is what I have so far... Any Suggestions/Edits/Changes you think I should make?? Please, keep in mind I am trying to offer incentive to the council as well as get what us chicken keepers want so I am proposing rules that meet in the middle. ALSO I am not a professional at this kinda stuff... I'm just your average person so I have no clue how to write this stuff all professional-like...lol (I did my best!)
I didn't finish but came to a screeching halt at the 2-3 sq ft per bird requirement and again at the "1 chicken/0.03 acre. "

I would revise that to require 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 12 sq ft per bird in the run MINIMUM. These are not only for behavioral requirements but will allow the keeper greater ease in keeping offensive odors under control.

I think that a fixed number of birds per property would be far better than trying to convince the Village to allow 1 per 0.03 acres. I would clip it at 6-8 birds. And NO roosters. Regardless that their crows are lower in dB than a dog's bark, they do love to crow in the middle of the night and that isn't going to sit well with the chicken hating neighbor that sleeps with their windows open during summer.

I would also recommend that a clause was in there about "no free ranging". Chickens WILL leave the property and dig up neighbors flower beds and crap on their porches. That isn't going to go over well with most.

But as a rough draft, it's coming along well.

I havent read it yet, but will. Ohio has a law requiring no less than 6 chickens be purchased from stores. When our town finally brought back allowing chickens, their maximum number is 6. Just a thought.

This is ours:

505.19 FARM ANIMALS/LIVESTOCK
(b) Permit Necessary "No person shall keep or harbor domestic farm animals or livestock, chickens or fovrl within the City without having first obtained a permit from the Director of Public Safety. Such permit shall contain the name, age, breed, description and any special markings peculiar to such animals."
505.22 BACKYARD CHICKENS.
(a) It shall be unlawful to place or maintain backyard chickens in any area unless the following conditions and requirements are met:
ORDINANCE No. 2018-116
Page 1 of 2
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
No more than six (6) backyard chickens are permitted per dwelling
unit or school.
Roosters and chicks are prohibited. For purposes of this Section, "chicks" shall be defined as yotmg chickens tmder the age of six (6) months old.
Other poultry or fowl are prohibited. No person may own or keep any other fowl, including ducks, quail, geese, or turkeys.
Backyard chickens are required to be located within a designated chicken coop and chicken nm that shall meet the following requirements:
A. The chicken coop and-chicken nm shall be located in the rear
or backyard of owner-occupied, single family a residential properties located in zoning districts designated as R-1, R-2, R-3 or any school property, public or private.
B. Neither the coop nor nm shall be located between the rear of the principal structure and the front yard lot line.
C. The coop shall have a minimum thirty feet (30') setback from the rear property line, and ten feet (10') setback from the side property line.
D. Coops shall be predator and rodent resistant with a solid covered roof.
E. Water shall be provided onsite and accessible to chickens at all times.
F. During daylight hours, the chickens shall also have access to the nm and chicken coop in order to provide cover in inclement weather and fresh air when the weather is hot.
G. From dusk until dawn, chickens shall be protected from
predators by being enclosed within a chicken coop.
H. The maximum chicken coop size is one hLmdred (100) square
feet.
I. A minimum of four (4) square feet of space per chicken shall
be provided in both the coop and the nm; however, the coop shall provide at least two (2) square feet of space for each chicken.
J. The maximum height of the coop shall be no more the seven feet (7') at the highest point of the roof.
(5) Chicken, Chicken coops and chicken nms shall be maintained and shall be regularly cleaned to control dust, odor, and waste so as to not create a nuisance, constitute a safety hazard, health problem or Lmreasonable disturbance to surroLmding properties.
(6) No on-site slaughtering is allowed.
(7) Chicken feed shall be stored in a reasonable, airtight, predator proof
container.
(8) Chicken waste shall only be stored in a reasonable, airtight, predator
proof container or buried in order for it to be used as compost.
(b) Commercial Uses Prohibited. Chickens shall be kept for personal use only. No person shall sell or barter eggs or engage in chicken breeding or
fertilizing production for commercial purposes.
(c) Penalties for Violations. Violations of this Section shall be subject to the
Civil Penalties as provided by Section 501.03 of the Codified Ordinances

I like it! Coming a long well and good reasoning.
I didn't finish but came to a screeching halt at the 2-3 sq ft per bird requirement and again at the "1 chicken/0.03 acre. "
100%! That would mean a very lonely chicken on too much land
I would also recommend that a clause was in there about "no free ranging". Chickens WILL leave the property and dig up neighbors flower beds and crap on their porches. That isn't going to go over well with most.
Yes, damaging property would not go down well.
This is ours:

505.19 FARM ANIMALS/LIVESTOCK
(b) Permit Necessary "No person shall keep or harbor domestic farm animals or livestock, chickens or fovrl within the City without having first obtained a permit from the Director of Public Safety. Such permit shall contain the name, age, breed, description and any special markings peculiar to such animals."
505.22 BACKYARD CHICKENS.
(a) It shall be unlawful to place or maintain backyard chickens in any area unless the following conditions and requirements are met:
ORDINANCE No. 2018-116
Page 1 of 2
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
No more than six (6) backyard chickens are permitted per dwelling
unit or school.
Roosters and chicks are prohibited. For purposes of this Section, "chicks" shall be defined as yotmg chickens tmder the age of six (6) months old.
Other poultry or fowl are prohibited. No person may own or keep any other fowl, including ducks, quail, geese, or turkeys.
Backyard chickens are required to be located within a designated chicken coop and chicken nm that shall meet the following requirements:
A. The chicken coop and-chicken nm shall be located in the rear
or backyard of owner-occupied, single family a residential properties located in zoning districts designated as R-1, R-2, R-3 or any school property, public or private.
B. Neither the coop nor nm shall be located between the rear of the principal structure and the front yard lot line.
C. The coop shall have a minimum thirty feet (30') setback from the rear property line, and ten feet (10') setback from the side property line.
D. Coops shall be predator and rodent resistant with a solid covered roof.
E. Water shall be provided onsite and accessible to chickens at all times.
F. During daylight hours, the chickens shall also have access to the nm and chicken coop in order to provide cover in inclement weather and fresh air when the weather is hot.
G. From dusk until dawn, chickens shall be protected from
predators by being enclosed within a chicken coop.
H. The maximum chicken coop size is one hLmdred (100) square
feet.
I. A minimum of four (4) square feet of space per chicken shall
be provided in both the coop and the nm; however, the coop shall provide at least two (2) square feet of space for each chicken.
J. The maximum height of the coop shall be no more the seven feet (7') at the highest point of the roof.
(5) Chicken, Chicken coops and chicken nms shall be maintained and shall be regularly cleaned to control dust, odor, and waste so as to not create a nuisance, constitute a safety hazard, health problem or Lmreasonable disturbance to surroLmding properties.
(6) No on-site slaughtering is allowed.
(7) Chicken feed shall be stored in a reasonable, airtight, predator proof
container.
(8) Chicken waste shall only be stored in a reasonable, airtight, predator
proof container or buried in order for it to be used as compost.
(b) Commercial Uses Prohibited. Chickens shall be kept for personal use only. No person shall sell or barter eggs or engage in chicken breeding or
fertilizing production for commercial purposes.
(c) Penalties for Violations. Violations of this Section shall be subject to the
Civil Penalties as provided by Section 501.03 of the Codified Ordinances
Nice!

I would revise that to require 4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 12 sq ft per bird in the run MINIMUM. These are not only for behavioral requirements but will allow the keeper greater ease in keeping offensive odors under control.

I think that a fixed number of birds per property would be far better than trying to convince the Village to allow 1 per 0.03 acres. I would clip it at 6-8 birds. And NO roosters. Regardless that their crows are lower in dB than a dog's bark, they do love to crow in the middle of the night and that isn't going to sit well with the chicken hating neighbor that sleeps with their windows open during summer.

But as a rough draft, it's coming along well.

Thank you! I will add those recommendations :)

Looks good!

I have 0 experience with this, but some thoughts-
-Have you checked other nearby city chicken laws?
-I would start with fewer ordinances. Maybe leave off #6, 7, 10?, 12. Leave off fines? Or is this the way nearby cities wrote their laws?

The keeping of chickens on residential properties:
  1. No roosters are permitted.
  2. Free ranging chickens is not permitted.
  3. Limit of 8 chickens per lot.
  4. Chickens must be kept in the backyard/rear of the property.
  5. A minimum of four (4) square feet of space per chicken shall be provided in a securely enclosed run as well as a secure, predator-proof, coop which shall provide at least two (2) square feet of space for each chicken.
  6. The culling, dispatching, and/or processing of chickens must be completed out of view from the public and human methods must be used.
  7. Chicken feed must be stored in metal predator proof-containers with secure metal lids.
  8. The commercial sale of chickens, their meat, and/or eggs in or on your residential property is prohibited.
  9. Chicken coops and runs must be kept at least twenty (20) feet away from neighboring property lines.
  10. Chickens, chicken coops and chicken runs shall be maintained and shall be regularly cleaned to control dust, odor, and waste so as to not create a nuisance, constitute a safety hazard, health problem, or unreasonable disturbance to surrounding properties.
  11. Chicken waste shall only be stored in a reasonable, airtight, predator proof container or buried in order for it to be used as compost.
  12. A one time Camden Village Chicken Permit must be obtained at the cost of (40 dollars?) OR An annual permit must be obtained at the cost of (20 dollars?)
Any violation of these ordinances (Except for Animal Abuse) will result in:

1st Offence: Warning (10 days to comply)
2nd Offence (of the same offence) : 50 dollar fine? (10 days to comply)
3rd Offence (of the same offence): 100 dollar fine? (10 days to comply)
4th Offence (of the same offence): 250 dollar fine & Chicken Permit Suspension 1 year?

Animal Abuse Violation: Lifetime Chicken Permit Revocation as well as any applicable Federal, County, & State Repercussions.

Back
Top Bottom