Need opinions

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by thndrdancr, May 6, 2008.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Today I was sitting in the car waiting for my dh to pick up his pictures that were developed from the drug store.

What a day! The drug store is in a strip mall, with a McD's and a pretty large parking lot. I am sittin there and I see a Momma duck (I think Mallard) walking cross the cement lot pretty as you please with all these babies, 10 or 11. Then she crosses the gutter grate inbedded in the cement, and plop, plop, 8 of the babies fell into the gutter. I got out, crying and ran over. My wrist was a little too big to sqeeze down in there, but dh got two, and more people helped and it took over an hour, but we ended up getting all the little babies.

She has a nest under some bushes where there are rocks, right across the drive thru at McD. There is NO water, and I imagine she is living on the scraps from the trash at McD's. Oh an by the way, we called animal control and they said it was not their problem, let momma duck take care of it. Now how can a duck reach down and rescue her babies from a gutter drain. I am sleepless over this and dont know what to do, but no way can she take care of 11 babies with possibly two more to hatch.

(A Mcd's employee said she laid in same spot last year, but most the babies never made it- well I would think NOT). I had in mind to relocate her, but all I have is a fishing net. She has a nest with two more eggs on it that she is setting on. These babies were SO tiny, two were small enuff they likely hatched in the last day or two. The nearest lake is 3/4 amile away. I am at a loss, but dont know if any duck or wildlife rescue folks are around, can anyone give me clues who to call, or what I should do?

This has NOT been a good two weeks! Had an accident and almost missed the viewing of my mom at the funeral home while at the ER.

And silly Dash wants to feed her babies people food, so they are getting pasty butt. Darn Dash!

2. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Sorry your having such a rough 2 weeks. At least you saved the ducklings, thats good news.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Maybe the two eggs are duds that did not hatch??? Maybe she can count her losses and be relocated to a safer, better environment. I wish I had more to offer... sounds like you are having a bad time of late. I hope things improve!!!! Seems to be going around as it were.

[​IMG]

4. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Jill, Try emailing or PM'ing Terrielacey, She does alot of duck rescues. Great job saving the littles ones, hope you can get them relocated.

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Call your local Fish and Wildlife department. They should have a list of federally licensed rehabilitators to guide you.

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/

Mallards will keep coming to the same nest even though they lose their babies. They can't count, so as long as one peeper is following her, she will be fine and won't notice the rest are gone.

Thank you THANK YOU for saving those babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by