8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
de soto
i have some 2x2x8 wood
to make a run and 300ft of fences
want a 20x20ft run any way to do with 2x2x8s

my fence is chicken wire 4x150ft rolls
i have 2 rolls any one have some ideas

You will need bigger posts (4x4 minimum) and better wire (2x4 welded wire or no-climb fencing). Hope you saved the receipt. Chicken wire will keep the chickens in, but everything else will be coming in.

How many chicken do you have? Let's start there.

A 24x24 run will give you sufficient run space (570+ SF). Twenty 8' 4x4 posts spaced 5' apart, dug 2' into the ground and one sack of redi-mix concrete per hole. Where your door is, space those 4' and 4' in that corner, not 5" and 5'. Brace as indicated below (my run in progress last year).
0404001349.jpg

Buy a 100' roll 6' or 8' of 2"x4" welded wire, or "no climb" fencing. Buy a few 25'x2' rolls of 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth and use around the base. I'd prefer the 8' 2x4 fence, bend the bottom 2 feet out flat for your anti dig barrier. Attach with staples, the ones that are "U" shaped and are hammered in. Hardware cloth first, then the 2x4 wire. I attached the hardware cloth second. Learn from my mistake on that.

That should get you started.

Last edited:
thanks man that looks really good but not so worried about predeters they will be in side when it gets dark and in the day ill be out side
i am a stay at home dad so chickens and house work wifey has job in the matrix i am become a farmer i got 12 acres of land so her real job and my skills and what i wanna learn will work in the long run when we have rabbits chickens worms and a big garden thats my full time job
this is my first year hope to learn a lot thanks you so much and i am save the money for that run

Back
Top Bottom