Need organic hatching eggs in Woodinville, WA (outside of Seattle)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by dehave, Apr 27, 2008.

1. dehave

dehave Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    I have a broody hen and no Rooster. My lovely rooster was taken a couple of months ago. My girl is supposedly a mutt, but she looks like a smallish rhode island red or a darker buff orpington. She lays eggs that are a full sized but on the small side. I would like full size eggs, not bantams. I am willing to drive a bit. Be forwarned, I have never hatched eggs or let on of my girls hatch, so I will be FULL of questions!

Thanks,
    Dana

2. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    A little confused - so i get the first Question LOL

Why do you want organic hatching eggs ? Since you won't be eating them ?

It limits your market --

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

In theory, to be organic, the chicks just have to be raised on organic feeds from day one. The eggs themselves to hatch don't have to be organic.

Good luck finding organically fed fertilized eggs.

I have a rooster with my mixed flock so my eggs should be fertile, but they are not organic because they free range and are fed regular feed. Might try craigslist.

4. dehave

dehave Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    Presumably eggs from organically raised hen will hatch healthier chickens which in turn will lay healthier eggs...? I really just want healthy eggs from healthy chickens I guess. I realize it may be overkill.

5. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens are free range and eat only organic feed. Iv had a 90% hatch rate and would be happy to sell you some eggs.

6. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    ok I get question 2 [​IMG]

Wi Chick --- Always wondered so what do you do when they get sick - like Coccida and if you have chicks without medicated feed that happens or a cold ?
    ok just brain picking

7. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
  8. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Great link Florida Chick!!!

Julie [​IMG]

9. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Iv never ever had ANY kind of sickness or death in my flock and iv owned chickens for 8 years. Like florida chick said, its all space, maintence and cleaning. Medicated feed isnt good for chickens. How could it be good to be constantly taking medication? If a chicken is in critical condition, putting it out of its misery is the nicer thing to do.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by