Need others advice with still air LG incubators?Need advice pg2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Plz share your tips and tricks with this Incubator. I just bought one and some say they "SUCK" bad with temps and Himidity. Please share all your advice with your own LG. Share your tips and tricks with it that you had to temper with. What problems did you have with the still air LG? Any advice on the still air LG.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 and am ready to huck them out the window. The temp is very controll is sentitive. I do ok with the humidity. But I have been having bad luck with temp spikes. I want to save up them monies for cabinet bator.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  3. grundail01

grundail01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Dustin Acres
    I have and LG and i like it so far, it is very touchy on the temp though. I put a knob on the temp control for easier adjustment and have it in a room that stays a fairly constant temp and no drafts. I made a separate incubator for hatching so i only use it with the turner. I just had 10 out of 16 eggs hatch that were shipped from FL to CA.

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I had one when I was like 11, and that was 5 years ago, so I don't remember much. All I know is I would basically get 50% hatches EVERY time.

5. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Well just give yourself time to get the temp right..Make small adjustments and wait an hour or so..I wont go so far as to say they suck, Ive hatched in them and still have one..My last hatch was about 90% in it. They aint all that good but the last one was. They are harder to use than say a 1588 or a sportsman as they require more supervision but there are plenty of folks out there that have good hatches consistantly with them..It takes more work though...One more thing, stable room temps are very important...Ive noticed that if I keep it in a enviromentally stable area I have little to no problems with the temp..

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I have more LG's than I care to admitt to. With some pratice you can have some great hatches.
    I have 9 placed in class rooms around the area and out of 27 hatches of 36 eggs each, the worst hatch rate was 30 chicks. With 2 100%ers

The trick is to set up the bator about 4 days before you want to use it. Set it up with baby jars full of water in it. This gives you some mass in the unit.

As everyone will tell you, the controlls are TOUCHY. Once you make an adjustment, fo watch a movie and then check it. Each adjustment is a small turn one way or the other.

Do at less 6 hatches of mutt eggs before you try hacthing any high price eggs.

And Katrinag, when you get ready to pitch them out the window, stop. PM me and I will send you the postage and you can ship them to me. I will use them in some class room next year.

7. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    My advice- DON'T EVER rely on the thermometer that comes with the bator. I had the crappy one that came with it but went ahead and bought a couple digital thermometer/hygrometers because I had heard that the one that came with the bator wasn't any good. I set up both digital thermometers and left it for a few hours. When I came back to check on it the cheapie one was saying 100* F., but one of the digital thermometers was saying 97*F and the other was saying 96.5*F. I am glad that there are no eggs in there yet! Those few degrees would have ruined my hatch for sure. Besides, it doesn't have the hygrometer part. So go ahead and buy a good thermometer, might cost a little extra but it is worth it when it makes the difference between chicks and a 0% hatch rate.
    I have liked the LG so far, this is my second one, and I am going to be setting the first batch in this bator either tomorrow or Saturday. The first one I had was ok to, I know that LGs aren't that great compared to some but they can work with a little extra supervision. Hope this helps and good luck!

8. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    On day 18 take the truner out place a small butter dish with extra water unter the wire make sure the other trays are full place the eggs back in on the side of corse take out both Red) plugs, and very small adjustment on the knob very small.

9. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Like everyone else said, very, very minimal adjustments to the temp to get it regulated, for me, once i get it to the right adjustment it stays as long as a draft free room. The main problem for me has been humidity. I put 4 sponges in under the wire and wet them when it's hatch time and also put a small dish in . That usually gets the humidity up, then keep the sponges wet with some aquarium tubing through a hole in the top so you don't have to open at all if you need more humidity during hatch.

Good luck!

Nancy

10. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    don't touch it! just touching the lid can throw it off,
    don't fiddle with the stat too much if it's in the 99.3-102 still, 99-101 forced, range it's Fine! don't adjust till it's out of that range. you'll just be pulling your hair out trying to stay at 100 (and it won't)
    do try to get a fan in it , lg or a pc fan their are thread are on how to put a cheap pc fan in if you can't afford the factory fan,
    mark the water wells with food coloring or a marker so you can see it between the racks, use the tube/straw water filling mentioned above though the vent hole, you won't need sponges till day 18, don't move the lid!!!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by