1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need other's experience with merging 2 flocks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Attila the Hen, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I feel like I am being repetitious but I would love to have some input.
    I have 5 BOs that are 2 years old and 4 pullets about 20 weeks old. They all free range happily together but at night the little girls are terrified about going into the sleeping box with the bigger hens. I put the little ones in when it is dark and stay until everything is very quiet. Then I go out early in the morning to let them out. The young ones are quick to get out and away from the older ones.

After the first night the small ones wanted to sleep in the box but must have been pecked and so now try to sleep on top of the box which means I have to put them in as I described. Do you think this will eventually sort itself out? I have been doing this for about 3 weeks now. I just hate to see them so distressed when I come to put them in the box. I know they aren't getting attacked because I wait and watch.
    I'd appreciate people's insight on this as it seems to have gone on a long time compared to other's experience.
    thank you

2. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    Can you describe your "sleeping box"? I think that you will probably have to find a way to physically block them from roosting on top of the box. If you leave any flat surface they can hop-fly onto, they will use it. And you also want to make sure there is plenty of roosting space in the box, or whever you want them to roost, so the younger ones can keep a comfortable distance from older ones.

If they free range happily together, I don't think your young ones will be traumatized by roosting with older ones, as long as there is plenty of space.

3. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Sometimes you just have to let the chickens sort it out themselves. I would leave them on top until they decide to go in by themselves. You might try to put a dim light inside so that it isn't totally dark.

Jim

4. Attila the Hen

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I was shocked to find all four inside the box tonight. As the older birds got in at least one wanted to toss them out and I intervened. The box is small but large enough I think. There is probably 12 ft of roosting space the the young ones are taking up about 1 foot of that.
    AND, I was surprised when I got out there a little late to let them out of the coop that the young ones were already out (using the electronic door for the first time ever) and happily eating and drinking. Of course only one adult was up with them. The rest wanted to catch up on their beauty sleep.
    Thanks for the input.

5. Attila the Hen

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    Sorry, meant to comment. I had a small motion detector inside and took it out because it kept going off and the older birds attack when they can see. Everyone seems better in the dark and helpless--sort of evens the odds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by