Need Pheasant Recipes!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by lauriemae15, Jan 3, 2013.

1. lauriemae15

lauriemae15 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    South Dakota
    My cousin went hunting last weekend and brought us back a couple of pheasants. I've never cooked one before and I'm looking for a good recipe! I've never cooked wild game before either, so I'm a little nervous that I will end up with a tough, dried out bird. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've never cooked pheasant, but I have eaten smoked pheasant and it was fantastic. So, if you have a smoker..............

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    A wild pheasant will tend to be drier and tougher than a farm raised bird, so when you cook it, make sure cook it at a low temperature - like 300 or 325 max. Or cook it using a moist method - like pheasant stew or something.
    I had friends who hunted pheasant every year and they roasted theirs after soaking in a brine overnight. She roasted it for over an hour in a roasting pan with pototoes, onions and carrots. Alot like a turkey only alot smaller. She would od 3 or 4 at a time for the big family.
    My dad hunted partridge (aka ruffed grouse) and my mom cooked it up in a seasoned broth, then de boned it and we had meat and gravy over baking powder biskets. Yum!

4. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    You might want to try ultimatepheasanthunting.com and click on the recipe catagory. They list several different methods of cooking wild pheasant. I have tried a couple and they came out great. Good luck and THANKS for the email.

5. lauriemae15

lauriemae15 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    South Dakota
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by