1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need photos of different egg colors for science project...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThePigeonKid, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    I need good photos of eggs of different colors as well as the name of each color and the breed of hen that layed it.
    If anyone has any pics they can share, it would be most appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance. [​IMG]

2. audioguy

audioguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    Check with your local 4H. They most likely have a wall chart with all the colors and breeds associated together. It was probably a 4H project at one time!

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Check out my egg color chart egg color chart ,I'm pretty sure the people who donated them won't mind, Just give credit to all the wonderful people on BYC.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Illia has a great photo on her blog, I think. She's always in this section of the forum so I bet she'll show up here and post it if she reads this.

I get pale, brown, purple and blue eggs.

5. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Pink egg from Miss Fryer, a Silkie/EE cross:
    The pink one in his right hand (on your left) compared to her mother's pale tan/brown egg:

[​IMG]

here's Miss Fryer as a pullet, her coloring is called "blue" but in this photo I think the ultraviolet lighting went haywire on her and the creeping charlie, and the violets...:
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your project! I just saw in BackYard Poultry magazine, that backyard Emu's lay deep green eggs! In crayola terms, I would call them Teal.

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Blue egg laid by "Fern" a splash Ameraucana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Olive green egg laid by "Belle" a blue Olive Egger (Ameraucana/Cuckoo Marans mix)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Egg colors I can think of off my head are purple, pink-ish, brown, white, pale, light brown, olive, green, blue, red-brown, blue/green. And then of course, there's those beautiful, multi-colored eggs that hens occasionally lay.

8. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Thanks! [​IMG]

9. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Quote:purple?!! I have never heard of this!! Do you have a picture? Thats amazing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by