1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need pics of nipple waters mounted or hung!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by viktoriacl, Jun 24, 2011.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I have my nipple waterers in gallon jugs but want to switch to a five gallon bucket. I would love to see how people support a full bucket without risking the handle pulling out! Thanks so much!

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks for posting this. I want to see too. I just got a 2 gallon bucket to use for this purpose and wondered about the handle being strong enough to support it.

3. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Really? No ideas out there?

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I don't have a very good picture of either of my 5 gal. nipple waterers, but I put them up onto cement blocks.
    [​IMG]

5. ChiknPamperor107

ChiknPamperor107 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    My dad actually attached a small gravity hose to a bucket and pvc pipe on the other end that held about 5 nipples. We are still trying to find a way to mount it on the fence for them.
    |
    |------| <--- Kinda looked like that. I can get a pic for you if you still need it.

~Andrea
    I hope this helped a little. Its hard to explain. I will try to get a pic.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  6. harri

harri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I just finished mine today. It is in my garage now,full of water so far no leaks.
    I made a five gallon bucket and put a pex fitting in the bottom, ran the pex to a 2' pvc pipe with 4 nipples.
    My bucket will be supported on brackets made out of 2x4s.The bucket will sit on top of these brackets. the pex will run through the chicken wire and the pipe will be in the run.
    I will post pics on sunday or monday. I won't be back home to install it until Sunday.

7. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am going to put the nipples right in the bucket on mine. I am looking ahead to winter when I hope to be able to keep using it instead of a regular one. I think it'll easier to keep it thawed this way.

8. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    We used 4 inch PVC, capped one end and put the nipple in that. Have a plug on top to keep the dirt etc out and it works great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    I use pvc pipe with my 5 gallon bucket (see my BYC page) but I've seen several pics of people hanging them. If the handle isn't strong enough you might consider setting the bucket on a framework of concrete blocks and/or wood.

10. southerndesert

southerndesert B &amp; M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    I simply have 4 nipples in a 2 gallon bucket, one a mop bucket and the other a Home Depot 2 gal with lid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have another coop and run on the other side of the one seen set up the same....

Buckets are just hung by handles for easy removal to rinse, clean, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by