Need pics of raccoon proof coop/run latches please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BayouPoules, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

We are near the end of finishing the new coop and run ( whew!) and it will have two people doors into the run. We do have coons so that is a big concern,. but neither do I want to spend 5 hours in the coop ... like a fellow BYCer [​IMG] ,. though that was her DH's fault for locking the door,.. out of good habit,. still there have been too many stories on BYC of getting locked in the coop,.so we would really like one that works from both sides,... what is the latch ya'll recommend?

Can a Raccoon open a doorknob?? [​IMG]

We would be grateful for your ideas and pics. [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    I dont think a raccon could open the door if you put the doorknob on backwards you just need a key. That way if you do get locked in you can just unlock it [​IMG] like the key side - outside and the twisty knob part in the coop.

Edited b/c: I spelled doorknob,door noob [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  3. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Raccoons have not needed to open the doorknob to my coop yet, but I imagine they could with those little fingers.

I have considered a padlock as a predator deterrent. Would work against the two-leggers also.

4. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    How about using any latch of your choice, along with a separate dead bold ... the type for a house door that has a key slot on the outside and a lock-unlock twist knob on the inside?

5. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    When I was building mine people told me that anything a 4 year old child a raccoon can. I put slide bolt with carabiners, and so far that has worked perfectly.

6. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    OH! just thought of somthing! Okay so at my church in the nusery we have baby gaurds. They go over the doorknob and its like a pill bottle lid. You push down on two places and twist and it opens the door. their plastic an i'll see if i can find a pic on google.

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I thought I was the only one that got locked in the chicken coop [​IMG] Glad to know I am not. Oh thank you. I feel better now. [​IMG] I have a padlock on my latch.

8. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Google doorknob covers. The second pic. is what im talking about.

9. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks so much ya'll....Good ideas,.. keep em coming! [​IMG] ... I remember the doorknob covers,. it's been a while since I needed those,..she's 16 now [​IMG].

I'll show them to DH when he gets home. He's gonna like the slide bolt idea,.

It will be sooo good to get the flock into the new coop,.. [​IMG]

10. 1 Bad Rotti

1 Bad Rotti Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    I have slide bolt hatches as well, they seem to work fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by