Need pork sausage receipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Sugar Sand Farm, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    DH and friends are processing our pigs today, Anybody have a receipe for breakfast sausage. So far have two big coolers full of meat. They are just starting on the second one.

2. Stephen in SoKY

Stephen in SoKY Chillin' With My Peeps

It's hard to beat A.C. Legg's Old Plantation Seasonings. I use #10 here. If you mix your own, be aware sage intensifies while frozen. If you're not careful with it, the sausage will become inedible in a relatively short time. I often grind and freeze unseasoned sausage meat, then I can make itallian, breakfast, sage or whatever I need upon thawing.

3. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    I've made Alton Brown's Breakfast Sausage recipe and it is very good.

Breakfast Sausage from Alton Brown, Food Network

2 pounds pork butt (2 1/2 pounds with bone), diced into 1/4-inch pieces
    1/2 pound fat back, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
    2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    1 tablespoon light brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Special equipment: meat grinder

Directions
    Combine diced pork with all other ingredients and chill for 1 hour. Using the fine blade of a grinder, grind the pork. Form into 1-inch rounds. Refrigerate and use within 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. For immediate use, saute patties over medium-low heat in a non-stick pan. Saute until brown and cooked through, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.

note: I don't dice the pork and fat, I just cut up into 1" cubes, works just fine and not so time consuming.

4. firebugfab

firebugfab Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Texas
  5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Thanks all I tried some receipes and then found the LC Leggs seasonsings I ground 42 pounds of the stuff. Thats by hand not electric. lol I made Italian sausage,Maple flovored breakfast sausage,Country sausage and pork sausage So far it tastes great. Thanks again Micki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by