Need predator suggestions ........PLEASE

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by arnr1530, Mar 1, 2013.

1. arnr1530

arnr1530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    I am going to be moving my baby chicks out to their coop in about 3 wks .... their new coop will be here next wk and i am so excited that they will have it!! BUT i have to admit I'm sure I'm crazy for thinking this way but like any pet in my family weather other people feel this way or not they are just like having my inside pets to me so I'm super nervous of our predator problems i live in the woods i have a people friendly outside dog that lives next door, i have possums in my shed, and raccoons around also getting warmer i will have copperhead and black snakes every where not to mention this hawk that almost swooped and took my dog!!! I have been having a trash problem trying to get the trash company out here to get my big load and that's where the possums came from and the dog comes over and goes through everything no matter what the dog will tare anything apart even the neighbors little dog!! So please please if you have an suggestions on how i can prevent my new little baby's from getting eatin that would be great!!! Also the coop we bought has 2x4's all around the bottom then the wire, my husband suggested for the snakes to add finer pen wire around the pen but I'm nervous about the other critters and i will be locking them up EVERY NIGHT!!

thank you

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    A well designed coop and run sealed with hardware cloth..... you should be fine and worry free.

[​IMG]

3. arnr1530

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    thank you

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I like the wire on the bottom idea. If you don't do that, make sure you bury the hardware cloth a few inches to keep burrowing or digging marauders from getting in. Good luck to you!

5. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    We haven't had any predator get into our coop or run but be very careful if you plan on free ranging your chickens. We lost our favorite hen after a bobcat jumped over a 6 ft fence to get her. We expanded their run and they no longer free range. Good luck and enjoy your chickens. We do.

6. arnr1530

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    thank yall very much for your advice they are not gonna run free range without me around i will once a day go outside with them let them walk around when it gets warmer out probably when my kids are out also so i can keep a close eye on them that way they get their exercise and not have to worry about a predator getting them !!

7. OLDGOAT35960

OLDGOAT35960 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Centre, Alabama USA
    I had predator problems every night until I purchased 4 Nite Guard lights from Jeffers Pet Supply--NO MORE PROBLEMS!!! They also sell a wind streamer that works for hawks

http://jefferspet.com/

8. OLDGOAT35960

Jan 26, 2013
    Centre, Alabama USA
    As for snakes --get a couple of guineas

9. arnr1530

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    thank you very much!! do i coop the guineas up with my others at night and will they be fine all together at once ? im gonna put extra hardware cloth around it once its here make it a little harder and i will make sure the coop is sealed up nice and tight they will be in there everynight!! thank you for all the advice

10. OLDGOAT35960

Jan 26, 2013
    Centre, Alabama USA
    My pair of guineas roost right with the chickens fine, have noticed too that they take several looks around the pen before going in for the night. Like they are making sure nothing is around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by