1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need preditar-proof housing for three five month old chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lost in feathers, Sep 16, 2010.

1. lost in feathers

lost in feathers New Egg

May 9, 2009
    Chickens are five months old and were rescued by my daughter(-now away in college but would like to visit her birds) when their mother was accidentally killed. One of the roosters has a distended crop which has been medically attended to but is not healed. The hen loves him. The other rooster is a beautiful golden phoenix (?) and wants to fight the other rooster. They are mostly indoor chickens and make great pets but I am now unable (and not legal) to properly care for them. Any resources or suggestions? (We know that predators, wild and human, can be lethal and would hope to avoid that fate for them.)

Thank you in advance,
    Suzanne
    Lakewood, WA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
    BackYardChickens Forum Mailer

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Boy, I'd be looking for homes for them where they can be visited by your daughter, but that's just me. Maybe just keep one female that isn't attached to one of the roosters.

3. lost in feathers

lost in feathers New Egg

May 9, 2009
    Thanks for your support and understanding!

4. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I'm sorry but I'm confused.........are you looking for design suggestions for actual housing? Or resources to find new homes for them?

5. lost in feathers

lost in feathers New Egg

May 9, 2009
    Hi,
    I am looking for actual housing for them which will be in a safe environment. They are pets. (We may be coming to eastern TN in October...)
    Thanks for responding!

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    If you are planning on keeping them indoors, I would invest in some sort of rabbit hutch system and give them "free time" to be out and about. Invest in chicken diapers to keep your house from getting gross.

If you are planning on keeping them outdoors, I would build 2 small mini coops or tractors....since you said the roosters don't get along. Use 1/2" hardware cloth on the run to keep chickens in and nasty creatures out. If there are only 2-3 per coop, then they don't have to be too terribly large.

Here is my "mini" coop. It has a 2x4 inside area with a 6x4 outside area. I used larger mesh as mine is within a fenced yard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is not one of my own creations, but I stole the pix as I wouldn't mind building it. It is used for bunnies here, but would work fine for two sets of chickens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Links below give some ideas that may apply-

8. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. HONESTLY!

You did state they aren't legal for you. Seemed like 5 chickens in the house with 2 being roosters who don't get along would overwhelm anyone. I don't think you can house them anywhere but inside your house if you have illegal roosters - you run the risk of having to re-home them immediately if turned in by someone. It seems like the best thing would be find them a home where your daughter could still visit or get updates.

9. lost in feathers

lost in feathers New Egg

May 9, 2009
    Thank all of you for your most helpful suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by