Need quail people ASAP

GD91

Songster
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
UK
I've posted a thread about a jumbo coturnix chick in accidents & emergencies, but the problem I tend to get is the few quail "experts" are not on there & so everyone is more knowledgeable about chickens. So they don't like replying to quail threads much.

Here's the thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/853235/quail-chick-cant-walk

This chick can't walk properly & I was debating culling, but of course that's a last resort as I only have 2 chicks.

Please help / advise.

Thanks

It is never advised to help chicks out of the egg. Many times they just don't make it. Hatching is the first test on a birds life. If they can't pass this test, then they are not fit for living. Unfortunately this is the way it is.

I don't know if there is much you can do about this little guy. He probably has all sorts of genetic or development issues going on. Some of them may be neurological.

You can try keeping him in another brooder and keep him a few degrees warmer than the remaining babies. Maybe up to 98 degrees or even 99. Add some vitamins to his water. Because he is falling over, he may be suffering from severe weakness and the vitamins will help with that. Dip his beak in the water every few hours to make sure he is drinking and feed him what ever he will eat. Hard boiled eggs are good for babies and are emergency food when they won't eat their food. Keep him eating.

If he has not recovered in a few days, he probably won't. So you should put him down at that point.

I culled it this evening.... It wasn't improving, it got a bit worse.

On the contrary I know, but I've assisted 13 chicks & only ever had 2 die within a week of hatching. Many problems are due to being hatched artificially, temperature & humidity issues can cause problems during incubation & lockdown. I'm not a hen, so I don't always get it right.

Now what about Pingoo (as its been named)?

He keeps sitting at the front of his brooder crying so I brought him into the room I was in & put his brooder on the floor. He calms down when you talk to him or show him attention & makes happy noises, But as soon as you stop, he cries again & won't stop. I gave him a teddy & a soft rag to snuggle, which he seems happy with, but theres no doubt he's missing out on being a chick
hmm.png

Just browsed the local adds & nobody's got any chicks of any sort either. Even a younger chicken chick would keep him company.

Last edited:
If you have a feather duster you can prop up in the corner, feathers down, this will help him snuggle in like he is with his momma. The stuffed animals will do also. Put a small mirror in with him so he feels that there might be others in the brooder with him. You can put a ticking clock in the brooder with him and play some soft classical music near him. The ticking clocks and the music works really well on my parrots when they are stressed out. Calms them right down.

He will be stressed for a while, but he won't die. If you can't find another mate for him, you can spend a lot of time with him and turn him into a house pet. Quail are very smart and can make wonderful house birds. I know a few people that let their birds nearly have the run of the house. These birds were lone birds at hatch, they now snuggle under the covers, under their jackets, etc...

Good luck with this baby. And I am so sorry about the bird that didn't make it.
hugs.gif

yup eveything in the above post. I had some i cuddled, they would go up into my hair. They did become house pets, a few would go up on the couch and burrow in the blankets and sleep. You will have to fill in for friend for now, but if you get a chance to get a chick or two from some where, even a banty chick for company they would be friends

Back
Top Bottom