Need quality hygrometer for your bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pascopol, Apr 29, 2009.

1. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    That's a good find. I love my analog hygrometer. It's simple, reliable,
    and accurate.

I just ordered 2 of the one you posted. It looks nice with the glass face.

3. pascopol

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:You,ve done a right thing ordering 2 at once, I still need 3rd one so I'll have one in each of my bators.

4. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    It's tough to get accuracy and quality for $5. I just adjust everything until my eggs are hatching on time and coming out of the egg good. Then see how it reads and you have something to go by. Low temperature is the most common problem not the humidity. I ALWAYS START MY INCUBATOR HOT AND IF THEY HATCH TOO EARLY BACK IT DOWN 1/2 DEGREE AT A TIME. At least they will hach at a higher temp and the won't at a lower one. Even if they hatch late most of the time they have crooked toes and other issues. It's just much better to hatch early. I always adjust my incubator until my chick are finished hatching on the 21st day and ready for the brooder.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

How do you calibrate it?

I have a digital one that goes in a reptile terrarium, but I wouldn't mind having this inexpensive analog one for a second opinion.

6. pascopol

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:That's an interesting concept if it works for you.

How high do you start them? 100/ 100.5 or more?

Then reduce at day 19 if they start to hatch?

By the way, the hygrometer I am talking about despite the low price is just as good as one for 50 bucks.

It is made of metal and glass, can be calibrated, it was designed for cigar humidors.

People who smoke expensive cigars do not buy junk generally speaking.

7. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Thanks for posting the link... just ordered one to back-up the digital thermometer/hygrometer that I already have.

8. DANNY

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    I start mine at 102 and actually had to bump mine up a little to 102.4. I hatched 61 out of 67 fertile eggs this last batch. I agree that hygrometer you have is probably as good as the $50 ones i have. Because in my opinion none of them are accurate. The thing is i have found all of mine and my friends thermometers have all been on the low side. In other words mine was reading 99.5 but was obviously about 96 because my hatches were terrible. Only when i started bumping my temperatures up did the eggs start hatching. Even if your is closer than mine have been the eggs will still hatch maybe a little early if dso just back it down. I see posts on byc everyday that eggs are hatching late or not hatching at all and they are worried about humidity when temperature is the problem. In a nutshell get your eggs hatching on time and then worry about humidity. It doesn't matter what your therm/hygro says it's probably wrong or wrong for your conditions. You just have to keep working on it till you get it fixed and then you can see what your thermo/hygro says for a guideline.
    Good Luck !

9. DANNY

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    I for about temperature in the hatcher. My hatcher is a gqf. Ioricinally set it at 101 but found out it was way to cold. Right now it is on 103. I know this sounds crazy to people but it works for me. there are so many variables from eqipment to the location of the incubator. You have to find what works for you. Remember the eggs will always tell you.

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Usually you can turn the scale to set it, assuming it needs to be set.
    You need to compare it against a known accurate hygro.
    Humidity isn't as accurate a science as temp so it's not all that important.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by