1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need quick advice for a school project about a small business.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cupman, Nov 15, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I need to come up with a couple good dual purpose breeds for my project. I have sold hens before to local families both as laying hens and those I'm sure went to the families' dinner table. Chickens are more of a hobby to me rather than a job, I've just occasionally made a few dollars selling the extra birds. I kind of want to adapt the hobby into my business project and before I do that I needed quick advice about breeds.

What I'm looking for is a good dual purpose breed that has meaty birds but nothing like a Jersey giant because of their slow growth rate. I want to be able to sell it as a laying hen or a hen that is to be eaten. I am looking for 2-4 different breeds and I'm open to suggestions. I've asked a similar question in the past so sorry if you've read that and feel I'm repeating myself.

I have heard speckled sussex used to be bred as a meat bird before the days of the broiler and I was just looking for birds like that. Thanks in advance.

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Dominique.

3. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Hopefully others with more experience will answer.....

I have a speckeld sussex and don't feel she would make a good meat bird. She also isn't a great layer. She friendly and pretty. She is a moderate layer and a little on the light side but not like an ISA.

I have some barred rock mixes they lay good and are larger than my other birds. So I think they would be good.

4. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Delawares

5. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Rocks and or Orpingtons.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

White Rocks have what you are looking for, with New Hampshires coming in a close second. The other breeds mentioned are slightly less meaty in build than these two and these two are consisten layers with hardy constitutions.

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Buckeyes. Decent layer, above average meat bird, excellent personality, great foragers.

8. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Great so far, I've been looking up these breeds and it's going to be tough narrowing down which 2 or 3 types to settle on. I gotta run to my afternoon classes, I'll check back later and thanks again everyone.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    More eggs than almost any chicken will lay, a huge carcass at 10 weeks of age that is much more valuable than a chicken: Silver Appleyard ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by