Need Quick Answer Please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grand-hen-ma, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Can anyone tell me how I can tell if the eggs my broody hen has been sitting on for about 2 weeks are developing? I read someplace that I can take a bright flashlight and hold it up against one of the eggs. Since this is my first time hatching, what the heck am I looking for? And, is this the best way to tell?

2. Grand-hen-ma

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    anyone???

3. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    yes at two weeks with a flashlight you would DEFINITELY be able to see a good amount of development. you can buy egg candlers or you can make one. but essentially the consept is just focusing the light into the egg so it goes through the shell. Basically at 2 weeks it looks kind of like a dark lumb and you can see blood vessels all around. Hope that helps. There is lots of pictures on the internet of candling photos. you could even google chicken egg candling photos or something similar. GOOD LUCK!

4. ChickGirl6

ChickGirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    EchoingAcres, MN
    If she's been sitting for two weeks, you should candle the eggs if they are developing they should be almost all black inside, if they are not developing then you should be able the see the light thru the egg.

5. Grand-hen-ma

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Thanks Savannah and ChickGirl6. I am leaving in a few minutes, that's whty the rush. Thanks again

6. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    You may already be gone, but if not, see this thread to know what you are looking for: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

Also
    , circle your hand around the flashlight with your thumb and index finger forming a ring at the top. Put the egg against this 'ring.' This will direct the light through the egg and make it easier to see.

[​IMG]
    This egg is a clear, but you get the idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by