Need quick temp housing ideas for bantams

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
I have the opportunity to pick up 2 hens and 1 rooster today from an older man who can't take care of them anymore. Problem is that I have no coop or anywhere to house them here right now. His are free ranging and these are the only 3 that he was able to catch. I don't want to leave them loose in my yard.

Does anybody have any quick ideas? I can go pick them up in my dog cage but what do I do from there until we can build something?

Thanks all! We did manage to find a wire cat cage - about 4 ft tall and at least 3.5ft square. Picked them up in a dog crate and transferred them just fine. Amazing how well they really DO fly! We are keeping it in the garage for now and are sure to keep all the doors closed. They are pretty friendly considering the conditions they were living in. They were kept outside in a big rabbit hutch. No food or water, just a couple slices of stale bread. In their new home I put out fresh water and crumbles but they haven't eaten anything except a couple of grapes I gave them this morning. Should I be concerned or will they eat when they're hungry?

They most likely will eat once they get settled in - I am guessing they might be alittle stressed from the move just leave the food and water out for them they will eat when they are hungrey and feel safe.
Good luck

Julie

Happy to report that they are doing ok so far. They still won't eat out of the feeder or the bowl so every day we've been hand-feeding them. They take the crumbles right out of our palms. They won't eat just crumbles though; we had to mix it with birdseed and a friend just gave me some scratch so we'll try that. They definitely like grapes though!

As if adopting 3 unwanted chickens isn't enough, my daughter told a friend at school and now we are adopting 9 more (full sized)...they have to move urgently and can't take them. Hopefully going over tonight to see if their coop is moveable or if we have to build one quickly.

Just call me the PR lady (Peep Rescue!!)

Back
Top Bottom