1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need rabbit help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenlittle27, Oct 20, 2008.

1. chickenlittle27

chickenlittle27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Licking Missouri
    I had a doe have first litter last monday and had 2 babies well today a week later had 4 more has this happened to anyone else let me know thanks

2. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Was she with a buck later? Did the babies live?

3. chickenlittle27

Apr 3, 2008
    Licking Missouri
    no she was with the buck only the one time and yes the first 2 babies lived but the other 4 didnt I really dont know what happened my dad raised rabbits for 20 years and he had never seen anything like that before

4. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I've heard of this happened but only if the doe is exposed at two different times. At least the first group lived.

5. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    some one I know had this happing. only the doe was living with the buck for one year.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  6. chickenlittle27

Apr 3, 2008
    Licking Missouri
    the does not doing so good i had to put her other 2 babies into anothers nest she quiet feeding them and she dont eat so i dont know what to do

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    does have two different uterine compartments, so a doe can accidentally get pregnant in both, and if so it can really cause problems. HOWEVER.... her having the second ones a week later, means she was rebred a week after the first breeding and got pregnant on both. One of your children (or someone) put the buck back in with the doe a week later, OR the buck got her through the cage wire (yes they can do that). That's the only possible way were the second kits fully formed? If so that's the explainatino. IF they werent fully formed then she was bred earlier and aborted them because she already had a nursing litter. It can kill the doe so its' not suprising taht she's not doing well. If you have children that play with yoru bunnies you may need to ask which one may have let mama play with papa a while back.

as for her not eating...that's life threatening, if that was me i'd rush her indoors and force feed her a liquid mash of her normal feed and oats. Rabbits need food on a constant basis so a food strike is death waiting to happen if you aren't able to force her to eat. Iv'e force fed many rabbits, and over half regained their strenght and need to eat on their own...the others well died.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  8. chickenlittle27

Apr 3, 2008
    Licking Missouri
    the doe is doing fine and no my kids are to small to mess with the rabbits and i know she was only bred the one time because i seen it and no other time was she with a buck or even close to one so i know for a fact she didnt get bred a week later

9. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Slow swimmers????[​IMG]:confused:

Try here-www.rabbit.org

10. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you found anything out on this yet?? How is the doe doing?? What about the 2 babies???

We had this happen with one of our cats (before we got her fixed).
    She had a litter of 3 babies. They lived for about 3 days. Then 2 days after those died (so 5 days total) she gave birth to a single kitten. That kitten ended up living and doing great. The first 3 were all born alive she nursed themm cleaned them, and was a very good mother. They were fully formed too. Not sure why this happened, but afterwards I heard from others they have had that happen before too.

Is your rabbit a first time mom??? I have read before that rabbits can actually but the birth in 'limbo' so to speak for anywhere from 1-14 days. They can do this for any number of reasons. Maybe she got scared, so something in her routine changed??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by