Need Rabbit Peep!

Mandalina

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Savannah,MO
Ok Rabbit lovers, Give me the best breed of bunny you like and for what reasons.

My dh is thinking about letting me and the kids get one in a few weeks.I would need a breed that isnt known to be aggressive and is easily trainable.

Thank you for your wise advice in advance!!!!

I have a lionheaad, nice, but not very personable
Most people recommend holland lops for the friendly ones. I think it was either them or the dutch
Good luck!!!!!!!!

We used to have a Blue Dutch Buck that LOVED to be held on his back liek a baby, so sweet. We also had a really nice B&W bunny, not sure what he was though, besides super cute.

My meat mixes are pretty friendly and non agressive. It depends on how big of a bunny you want.

Blue Ducth boy: He really liked the cat, lol.
DSC09579.JPG

DSC09582.JPG

This is the B&W guy we had, most likely a mixed breed. He was only about 6lbs.
DSC04566.jpg

DSC04549.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite breed is the jersey woolie. They require little grooming (other than a quick brushing every now and then), they are quite small, and VERY friendly. Mine loved to be held and pet. He made a great 4-H project and I used to show him every year at the fair. He absolutely LOVED the attention!

Ou r family has a netherland dwarf buck. Chris, short for Christmas was given to us when he was two. He is without a doubt the most docile rabbit I have ever handled. My youngest daughter,age 5 carries him around cradled like a baby. The only time he kicks is when he is jumping into his cage. We overcame that by putting him into his cage tail first.
bun.gif

I don't know that the breed really matters (I could be WAY off base there
wink.png
), so much as the breeder does.

I got a Netherland Dwarf for my daughter yesterday, but searched out a reputable breeder before we got her. We (my sister and I) driving 2 hours one way to go get bunnies from this lady, but I feel it was worth the drive. She handles her rabbits daily from the day they are born, so they are used to being touched and loved on. That makes a HUGE difference! If they are used to being handled, they won't mind it. Once the rabbit has been bought though, you still need to make sure they are handled daily. If you don't, chances are they will end up getting wild.

Find you a breeder and one that handles their rabbits all the time.
smile.png

I've owned at least ten different breeds of rabbit, and the best PETS I've ever had have been Mini Lops. They're small enough to be easy to handle, but big enough that they aren't easy to break. They have big round heads, lop ears, soft fur, and they truly love people and the attention they get from them. They also aren't a dwarf breed, which in my experience tend to get nippy.

The only downside I've found is they can be prolific shedders!

If you're just looking for pet, I'd recommend getting a male and having him neutered.

Back
Top Bottom