need reassurance-had to break one out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by futurefarmer08, Jan 2, 2009.

1. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    Hi, I am a total Newbie. Had 2 little guys hatch on day 20. could hear another one. Rocking and rolling the egg. Finally pipped but just cheeping for at least 20+hrs. Lost a batch previously. (Poor quality incubator) One was too dry to make it out.
    So I was too afraid this guy wasn't going to make it. Long story short, added wet papertowel. waited nothing. Helped him out. He is fully formed, fine, ready to have come out. But now he is thrashing about, Not in a seizure sort of way but I think he is exercising his muscles and trying to strenghthen them. There is a lot of cheeping. I saw him stand. Does it take a while for them to strengthen their neck muscles when they first come out? I think that was the progress with my other ones. ??
    I know I probably am worrying too much, it's already done, but I feel helpless and hope the little guy makes it. He seems very strong. Like his sibs.
    Any advice?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Yes it takes time for them to get strong !! He sounds like he's doing the normal new chick thing. Give him some time !!

CONGRATS !!!!

3. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:You're worrying too much [​IMG] Baby chicks all do that. The ones that need help have less experience kicking the egg off, so they wind up kicking in the air and falling over. I freak out over mine every time they hatch on their own, but if I walk away and come back a few hours later, they're fine. A day later, you wouldn't know they were spastic little slimeballs in the hatcher [​IMG]

Good luck with your babies!

-Spooky

4. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    Thanks guys! I am so hardwired to respond to crying. I just want to help. But I know the little guy/girl is strong, man, what a pair of lungs!!! Just like the 1st one that hatched! Thanks for the good word! Have a wonderful day!!![​IMG]

5. I have witnessed babies that actually look like they are having seizures. It looks like they are just about to die. In a few hours they are up and running around. You never know when to give up, so don't !!

6. pasofinofarm

pasofinofarm NONESUCH FARM CONROE TX

Mar 22, 2007
    Near Houston, TX
    Or the ones that run around... and then... flop... just like they died, face down and completely still... you can't even see them breathe and then just when you are sure your new peep has expired... She gets up and runs around the incubator again! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  7. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    I am suffering the same thing as we speak! Mine is 2 days late....peeping early AM today. Piped and then NO progress many hours later...just soulfull peeping with beak in smae pipe hole.
    I've helped her out but am wondering if it was the smart thing to do...........she is an "only" so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
    Hope yours is OK too! [​IMG]

8. bullrider

bullrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Utah
    Hope it does better than mine, I helped 2 of mine out but both died a day latter.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    Sounds like you've done everything right~way to go!!! Anytime I help one out, they never make it. [​IMG]

10. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    If they flop onto their backs and lay there kicking, I always help them back upright. Don't know if I need to or not, but I can't walk away with them laying there kicking and trying to upright themselves. Good Luck. Hope yours are ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by