Need reassurance its normal!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theacw, Jun 4, 2011.

1. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    Hey everyone, I have 2 chicks that are 4-5 weeks old and have been very healthy and happy. They live in my apartment right now while I am making a coop for them.

When I went to bed last night they were VERY noisy and vocal compared to how they usually are. Enough for me to keep getting out of bed to see if they were ok. Today, they were still very loud and have been laying kind of on their sides with there feet out and limp half asleep through out the whole day. I left for 4 hours to work on the coop and came back 15 min ago to them still laying on their sides and one of its beaks was open. It stayed open like she was trying to breath until I gave her some water and now she seems to be ok now. Last night she kept stretching her neck out like she was trying to readjust but seemed to relax when I massaged her chest.

Just want to make sure this sounds normal.

Edit: They are my first timers so I dont know whats normal or not.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:Do you still have a light on them? They may be getting too hot. Usually you can tell by their noise level if something is wrong- they will tell you you just gotta know what they are saying lol (easy right? lol) They should have water at all times...they will pant if they are too hot

how big of a space do they have in your appt- are they cramped?

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Are they panting? What you are describing sounds like what my chickens do when they are sunbathing. If they aren't panting they are probably fine. If they are, they are too hot. Really the only thing I can think of based on your decription. Good luck!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Definately sounds like they are too warm. Chicks will lay on their sides with their feet out if they are hot. Lower the temp a few degrees and they should be fine. And make sure it is not too stuffy in the brooder and have enough oxygen. [​IMG]

5. theacw

May 7, 2011
    MN
    Thanks for the reply. I have been keeping them in a 3x3 baby play pen at night which has a light that they are under off and on. As they have been getting older, I have just let them free roam my apartment with sheets on my carpet. They seem to be ok on space, they never seem to leave my living room. When this has been going on the past two days, it has been outside of the pen and my apartment isnt too warm. Maybe 75-80 with the A/C off and on though out the day. Their water is in their little pen and I think they are smart enough to know its in there. Maybe Ill keep one outside as well.

I dont know if its a cramped issue because I leave to go to work with the free roaming and almost everytime I come home, they are in their pen hanging out. I always think its so funny!

They are starting to get feathers under their wings so I was wondering if they are laying like that because its uncomfortable just poking through their skin. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  6. theacw

May 7, 2011
    MN
    Yeah I thought at first it was sun bathing! The first time I saw it, they were in the sun spot in my apartment (which may indicate its not them being hot?) but as they were doing it all day I started to wonder. Then when I came home to the open mouth, I just wanted to double check. Thanks so much for the help!

7. theacw

May 7, 2011
    MN
    One just pooed and it was all water with a few tiny pieces. Not a typical runny poo they sometimes have but all clearish liquid.

Is that ok?

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    That is what poo looks like when they are too warm. Clear liquid with little in it. They will not eat much when they are warm. You are on the right track! Good luck with your new babies. [​IMG]

9. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Sounds like they are too warm. They tell you if they are too hot...cold.
    Too cold, clustered together, poofed, neck pulled in tight.
    Too hot, spread out with each body spread, open beak, heavy breathing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by