need reassurance...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by megg0602, Jul 22, 2013.

1. megg0602

megg0602 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2013
    western mass
    So I ordered 6 hens from a nearby farm. I have no rooster as I live in a suburban area. I believe she is hen, but once in awhile she will crow. She's only done it three times now, but a couple times when she does it. She's a black copper maran and is about 9 weeks old. She is one of the top hens in their (developing) pecking order...

My bf got her crowing on tape one morning when he let them out. The last two times she has done it, it's not as clear sounding. It's quite raspy and sad sounding lol!

Please please assure me that she is a hen!! I don't want to have to return her back to the farm [​IMG]

Below is the video and some pictures I recently took of her. BTW she just started making the noise too. Never did it before just now. and she does make squaking and other sounds like the other hens too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A nine week crowing bird is male, sorry. Plus, that comb and wattles, the thick legs....that's a young rooster. See about returning him for a pullet.

3. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I agree - here's a pict of my BCM roo at roughly that age.
    [​IMG]

So sorry. I hope farm will swap him for you.

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    x2 :/

5. megg0602

megg0602 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2013
    western mass
    Aww :( yes they do have a rooster guarantee for sexed chicks, so they will swap me a hen of similar age. Just sad because we love "her" and got to know "her" so well.

6. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    It won't really help much, but...
    I adored my BCM 'pullet'. 'She' was the sweetest of the bunch - a real lap chicken. Somewhere around 5 or 6months old 'she' crowed. A few weeks after that he started rushing up to me and making half hearted attempts to flog me. A few weeks after that I noticed that all the hens were getting pretty shabby looking and bought saddles to protect them from his claws and spurs. Fast forward a couple of months - I had to treat 2 hens for deep scratches/cuts from his 'attentions' and I had started carrying a broom in the run with me to fend him off so I could TRY and enjoy a little time with my hens. Finally, I had enough and took him to the first local swap that came up.
    He ended up dinner for someone (I hadn't yet learned how to do it myself).
    The hens are slowly starting to grow feathers again on their backs and shoulders. Although 2 of them still stay pretty much hidden under a bush - in fear, I think, of his attacks. The yard is quiet and I miss his crowing... but I do NOT miss everything else that came with having a roo on the property.
    For some reason, they are almost always the sweetest ones when they are babies - but it's a very rare one that is still pleasant to have around once he discovers his 'purpose in life'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by