Need reassurance

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by needlessjunk, Jan 8, 2015.

1. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Well next week my not so little ducklings will be 6 weeks and are going to have to vacate the spare room. My in laws are coming for a visit so the babies need to go into the garage. They are still on heat and will have a lamp in the garage but it's suppose to hit freezing most nights and be in the 40-50's during the day. I'm pretty sure they will be just fine but I need reassurance. I'm particularly worried about one of my runners. She is small and has no meat on her and isn't nearly as "fluffy" as everyone else. She is healthy I just worry about the cold and her. Right now my house doesn't get below 62 and under the heat lamp it's been about 68. Yesterday and today I have only had the lamp on at night. My garage will have an air temp of 40-50 degrees. They are mostly feathered now except for the backs. Their lower backs in particular have no type of adult feathering.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What I would do is set up heat lamps in the garage tomorrow, and set up a thermometer.

You know to have them up off the cold floor, yes? Also - to make sure there is no fire hazard.

The Storey's Guide recommends (gotta do the arithmetic here - 90 minus (6 times 5) is 90 minus 30 is 60F). So they need around 60F. Just make sure it works before you have to put them in there.

Something you could try - since it's not for very long, right? Is put some cardboard underneath for extra insulation. I like the thermometers that keep track of maximum and minimum temperatures for 24 hours - then you can check and be sure.

I would add a poultry vitamin once a week to their water, just for a boost since it's going to be a change for them, and that can be stressful (not keel over stressful, but a little anxiety-provoking). And keep an eye on your runner girl - don't assume she'll be fine without any extra care. I think what I want to say is, don't worry about what you have control over - because you have control over it (Micky Rivers said that).

3. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Thank you. My in laws will be here for a week so I don't know what I will do when they leave. I guess it depends on how well they do in the garage. There will be more room in there for them but I want them to be comfortable too. I do have the 24 hi lo thermometer and I have a big outdoor one in the garage at the moment to help keep track of the temps. They will be in a large kiddie pool which will be on top of leftover carpet and rugs. I will give them some vitamins too to help out and will for sure be watching everyone very closely. I love that little runner too. She is the sweetest and comes running when she hears me talking. It is going to be a rather nerve racking visit since my inlaws are bringing their 2 dogs who are not bird friendly. They tried everything to not bring them but everything fell through. I love my in laws and it will be a good visit otherwise. At least my ducks are use to dogs so they won't filp but I am puttin a fence around the pool the ducks are in and fencing off the door to my garage.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes indeed,you put up the equivalent of razor wire!!! I get a little worked up, because when I was a teen, a younger cousin was allowed to roam the house. He allowed the poodle into the brooder room. Twice. Yes, my ducklings were dead.

5. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Oh no, I'm sorry. That is my biggest fear.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So, assume someone will let the dog into the garage, and plan accordingly.

Feel free to share my sad tale with the family, so they can understand the risks. I don't blame the dog, by the way. Dogs kill ducks. Not all dogs, but I would rather assume the worst and protect the littles.

Can you padlock the garage and hold the key on your person? I am serious.

1 person likes this.
  7. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX

I don't blame a dog that kills a bird or another animal at all. It's what they do just like cats hunt mice. My dogs know who is part of the family now but I wouldn't put it past them to go after someone else's flock. Anyway, no I need access to my garage multiple times a day. It is where out kitchen trash is in addition to our second frig. Last time I fenced off the ducks and put up a baby gate. I plan on doing the same and locking the dead bolt lock as a reminder for whoever goes in there. I think I will try to put a lid of some sort on the brooder as well but I'm afraid with the heat lamp it will melt of be a fire hazard.

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Half inch metal hardware cloth is what I used for a brooder lid.

Maybe a sign on the door at eye level.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by