1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need recipe for oven roasted beef long ribs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by cackle, Jan 19, 2009.

1. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have a couple of packages of beef long ribs and would prefer to oven roast them but I am not opposed to grilling on the gas grill. Please post your favorite recipe(s).

I would like to cook them tonight and have them thawing so I need a recipe with a rub or short marinading time.

Thanks,

Susan

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

I just made some last week. They were YUM! Here's what I did, and you can tweak it as you like:

Sprinkle ribs with salt, pepper, garlic, or any kind of "rub". Put in roasting pan with 1 1/2 cups of beef broth (a couple of boullion cubes in water). Roast at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Baste every so often. You may need to add more water.

Then add in the pan whatever veggies you have or want: potatoes, onions, celery, other root veggies like carrots, turnips, parsnips, maybe a can of green beans, WHATEVER!!

Roast for another hour, basting food with the broth. Serve with bread to sop up the gravy.

The house will smell great! [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    This one will surprise many.

I do not like beef ribs. Not at all. Unless it is a home raised, well fed beef then I can tolerate it for a meal but I am not interested in left overs.

4. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thank you, Blondie. The recipe looks great. The ribs are fatty do you usually strain off the fat?

5. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Yes, I am surprised. I like them but I have just never tried to cook them before. I found these at a tremendously cheap price so I thought I might as well try.

6. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

There really isn't much fat left when they are in a 300 degree oven for 3 hours. At least the ones I made didn't have a lot of fat. I guess there was a little on top of the gravy, but I like fat. [​IMG]

7. amamaofmany

amamaofmany Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    When i was in high school, I used to like to spend the night at a friend's house. Her parents were from Italy. We'd get up early to get ready for Church, and her mother would already have dinner getting started. when we got back to their house we had the most awesome antipasta and the second course was beef ribs slow cooked in a smooth, home made garlicy- tomato sauce with lots of grated Romano cheese grated right onto them, and dry home made bread on the side with a little glass of home made red wine that was soooo good with the sauce.

That meat fell right off the bone, and it was the flavor from the rib bones, she said, that made the sauce exceptional. I never wanted Sunday dinner to end when I was there!

She used to slow cook them in the oven darn near all morning in that sauce and somehow never burned it (maybe low heat?). She had a very heavy roaster, though, like a turkey roaster, so it probably had an insulated bottom. I don't know if she maybe seared them first, or just put them directly into the sauce because she always had that part done by the time Lori & I were up!

I can still smell them in my dreams! I've made the like a few times, but never as good as hers because everything came out of their garden except the beef and the Romano!

Oh man - now I'm drooling on the keyboard [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by