Need recomendations for a 50 bird Meat Production Coop

Morning Dove

Songster
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
Eastern Shore MD
Greetings, we have decided to get into meet production at a larger scale and we are looking for a coop design for about 50 birds. I'm not sure if I want to do a chicken tractor or a stationary coop with a fence around it. I'm feeling that a fenced in area would be necessary to prevent wild animals or dogs from attacking. I would like it to be pretty simple to build, as we have little carpentry experience. If one can point us to a particular set of plans that have specific directions, that would be best. We are planning on raising cornish crosses.....

Thanks for you advice!

Dove

I used these for my first coop. You can cover half with a tarp and the rest with chicken wire. Then use as a green house in the spring by covering with plastic. A multipurpose building so to speak.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Sunspace/UTEPortableGH5946.pdf

Mine lasted 8 years before 90+ mph winds broke a couple of the plywood ribs. After I had gathered the materials it went up in about a day and a half.

Last edited:
If you've ever raised meaties before, you will know how messy they are. We refer to them as the farm abominations. I had them in the barn for 1 week, you should have seen the mess. It was terrible. So I have them in tractors and move them daily.

Quote:
Is this small enough to drag to new locations, like a chicken tractor?

I just showed the plans to my DH, and he likes it! Thanks for responding!)

Dove

Last edited:
Quote:
See, I am planning on doing this - but I'm trying to figure out how much space I have to give to the tractor overall. I don't really want the kids tramping through fresh poo on the ground, so I'd like to dedicate specific "tractor space".

Any ideas? We'll be doing 50.

Quote:
See, I am planning on doing this - but I'm trying to figure out how much space I have to give to the tractor overall. I don't really want the kids tramping through fresh poo on the ground, so I'd like to dedicate specific "tractor space".

Due to dogs and foxes, we are planning on fencing in the tractor space, but how much is a good question.....

Dove

Quote:

Due to dogs and foxes, we are planning on fencing in the tractor space, but how much is a good question.....

Dove

Bingo - I'd just like to fence it off and make it our yearly "meatie area" in the back corner of our property. I'm just 100% clueless as to how big that area needs to be.

Quote:

Dove

Bingo - I'd just like to fence it off and make it our yearly "meatie area" in the back corner of our property. I'm just 100% clueless as to how big that area needs to be.

What would make sense to me, would be seven times the size of the tractor, so it can have a new spot every day of the week, and give the others spots a week off.....or twice that, so then the grass has 2 weeks off.....

Dove

Quote:
Is this small enough to drag to new locations, like a chicken tractor?

I just showed the plans to my DH, and he likes it! Thanks for responding!)

Dove

The plans are for a 12'x7' If you put some wheels on it then yes. You can change the 12' length without having to change anything else. If you change the 7' width. you will also need to change the angle of the cuts on the roof cap boards.

Back
Top Bottom