NEED recommendations on where to get a baby duck ASAP

finneasW

Chirping
Aug 15, 2021
So, I had 6 duck eggs in an incubator and about 4 of them died early on. 2 of them hatched but 1 of the 2 died when I was gone. Now the other one is alone and constantly crying out for a momma or sibling but I cant always be with it. I’d love to give her to her original mom but that’s how the first duckling died…. by being trampled on accident. So I’m too scared to do so. Does anyone know where I can buy a baby duckling, preferably only under a week old really quickly? The farm store near me (Wilco) isn’t selling baby ducklings currently since it’s near winter. And I cant find anything online that’s selling baby ducklings right now. I live in Silverton Oregon, please help if you know anywhere! Almost forgot to mention!! I put a stuffed animal in her area to hopefully give her some comfort when Im not around.

So, I had 6 duck eggs in an incubator and about 4 of them died early on. 2 of them hatched but 1 of the 2 died when I was gone. Now the other one is alone and constantly crying out for a momma or sibling but I cant always be with it. I’d love to give her to her original mom but that’s how the first duckling died…. by being trampled on accident. So I’m too scared to do so. Does anyone know where I can buy a baby duckling, preferably only under a week old really quickly? The farm store near me (Wilco) isn’t selling baby ducklings currently since it’s near winter. And I cant find anything online that’s selling baby ducklings right now. I live in Silverton Oregon, please help if you know anywhere! Almost forgot to mention!! I put a stuffed animal in her area to hopefully give her some comfort when Im not around.
small update, someone is willing to take the baby and raise it with all their other ducks. 😁

I know you've said someone else was able to take the little one,and I'm so glad! This or getting a companion to bring home is the best solution.
For anyone reading this who has a singleton baby bird, and you need to buy a little time while searching for another chick or duck to keep yours company, I recommend making large yarn pom poms and putting them in the brooder as well as the mirror.
Make the pom pom about as big as the chick or duckling will be in a couple weeks. The hope is that you'll have them a real buddy by then. Make a bunch because they will have to be tossed or rinsed out and dried as they get dirty.
Personally I get cheap acrylic yarn. the strands in acrylic yarn are longer than natural fibers and are best for the fluffing process. I take a dog brush and brush out the ends of the yarn to make the poms more down-like.

Here's an example of a brushed-out pom pom, my kids and I make these little rabbits around Christmas time.
IMG_20220103_081704373.jpg

I already had the yarn and extra pom poms on hand when I had a singleton baby button quail last April. I figured I would try it out. He would hide under the pom poms and drag them around the brooder even though they were bigger than him 😂

I had a lone duckling hatch out last summer. I put a mirror in with it and that helped a lot. A rubber duckling toy helped also. It was put outside and was able to see the other ducks when it got older and has done just fine. I was able to integrate it with all of them and he could relate to them. Good Luck with yours, mine did fine this way.

Back
Top Bottom