Need Red Sexlink hens and a Red Sexlink roo in Berkeley County, WV

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by kryptoniteqhs, Nov 23, 2008.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Hi there,
    I am looking for a few Red Sexlink hens and a Red Sexlink rooster. Also if anyone around here has a few Rhode Island Red hens, that'd be great too! Chicks of these breeds would be fine too.

2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    what do you need a red sex link roo for?

3. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    well ive heard of several different combinations of rhode island red + x = sexlink...i figured itd be easier than trying to get it right....new in the chicken breeding business lol

4. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    you are correct. your sex links will not make sex links. so skip the roo. keep the hens for all there good eggs. you need a rir or nhr roo with slw. if you go to the feathersite. here is the link. it will show you what you need. no need to get an extra roo if you don't need. [​IMG] two months ago, i thought i needed one also. you will learn fast on this site.
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKSexLink.html

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    thanks a lot....i just bought a rir roo last night...and like you said...i do not want another rooster if i dont have to have one....thanks for the help

6. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    perfect , i picked one up a couple weekends ago, myself. that is after i learned too. good luck and happy breeding.

7. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    thanks....do you think that white rock would be the best choice for a female? And what would happen if I let my rir roo near my sex link hens?

8. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    ok so i figured out that i need some delaware hens and some silver laced wyandotte hens. I would prefer the delaware hens over the wyandottes. Also, I noticed there is a Delaware bantam and a rhode island red bantam, meaning that I could make red sex link bantams?

9. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i am not that good yet. [​IMG] i don't know what happens with the off spring of sex links. they go back to their parents breed somehow or something like that. i don't know about white rocks either. i don't have them. i have some of the slw. when i got my birds i had a bunch of couple month old pullets, 25 to be exact. i put some on craigslist. more people wanted the sex links than anything else. so i thought, you should make some more of them. so i grabbed a rir roo for my slw. i was thinking about getting some br to make the black sex links but i really am not a fan of how they look. someone on here will be much better at helping you, with this, than me. lets see what they have to say....

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by