Need Refrigerator Suggestions

Sonoran Silkies

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Tempe, Arizona
Last night the fridge died. It's been puttering around on its last legs for years, but kept on keeping on as various other much newer appliances gave up the ghost.

So, this evening we'll be off to purchase a replacement. I do have the latest Consumer Reports Buying Guide to try to help steer me towards a reliable brand and model, but I've encountered so many lemons in the last few years that I am looking for all the help I can get.

SO, if you have recommendation for an excellent brand/model or as importantly against a particular brand/model, please let me know.

Here is what I am looking for:

side by side only (I do NOT like bottom freezers, so that tosses out both those and the french door style)

as large a capacity as possible.

water & ice dispenser

sliding glass shelves

clear bins

as low purchase price and as energy efficient as possible

So, any recommendations?

Last edited:
I've had really good luck with Whirlpool, which also makes the Sears Kenmore brand.

I have to admit I always wanted a side by side, until I got one. Now I really don't like it, because the space usage is inefficient at best. Next one, I will be going for the old top freezer style. Possibly a bottom freezer, but it would have to be an awfully good deal.

The ice/water through the door has been a loser for us- those get really nasty dirty inside, and you have to dismantle the entire door to clean it well. Never again.

I would be careful of LG--we have washers that are OK, phones that are great, and a dishwasher that is TERRIBLE.

Sears Kenmore brand is the greatest in our family without fail. It may cost a bit more but the performance is outstanding. I had a refigerator that is still running since 1994, a stackable washer and dryer since 1993 and a stove I had since 1994 (it finally quit last year). So they are dependable and "road worthy". Upon renovating our new kitchen, our old refigerator didnt fit, so went out and bought a smaller one from Sears, a Kenmore brand, and it ran beautifully for the last four years. Economical too!

Whirpool is another good brand to look into!

We recently got a Whirlpool side by side and the ice maker crapped out. They no longer make the parts for this particular icemaker (so I am told) and even though it makes ice, it does not dispense it through the door any longer. I'd also get a black one this time, I'm tired of trying to keep white looking spotless. Our Amana before this worked wonderfully, but only lasted about 10 years.

~ Nikki

If I had the choice, I should went with stainless steel panels instead of WHITE! Oh man, they are high maintaince when you try to keep it clean. Let alone having little kids or animals rubbing against it.

Quote:
Whirlpool makes Kenmore. And I am very pleased with all the Whirlpool/Kenmore appliances we have. Washer, dryer, 2 freezers, 1 fridge and 1 dishwasher. The shop fridge, a Kenmore, is far better then the one in the house, the side by side.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom