NEED RESPIRATORY MEDICATION SUGGESTIONS

daphneann

Hatching
Apr 27, 2020
Hi there! I have a 3 week old polish chick who was having troubles with her eye. It was all goopy, watery and closed up. I brought here inside got it cleaned up and noticed that she was sneezing. I've had her quarantined from the rest of the flock for 2 days now and her nose seems stuffy and she has been sneezing a lot. Her one eye is still watery. My other chicks have started sneezing now so I cleaned out their entire area and even strained the shavings to get the dust out. I'm just wondering if I should keep my one chick quarantined and what medication do you suggest? I really dont want to lose any. Thanks!

Welcome To BYC

Where did the chicks come from?
Where are you located in the world?
What type of bedding are you using?

Do you have plenty of ventilation in your brooder?

General eye care is to flush with saline, remove any goop/pus or debris. Apply an eye ointment (Terramycin, Vetericyn Eye Gel, Plain Neosporin)

Sneezing with goopy eyes could indicate respiratory disease. There are several that chickens can have - Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, ILT and Infectious Coryza are some common ones. If it's a bacteria like disease (Mycoplasma) then an antibiotic can help treat symptoms.
You can use Tylosin (Tylan), Denagard (Tiamulin - only treats Mycoplasma!) and the "cyclines" (Tetra/Oxy/Doxy). Birds will still remain carriers of the disease and can pass it on even when recovered.
You would need to order medication online.
In the meantime, keep birds warm and see that they are eating/drinking well. https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks you! I got the chicks from an online brooder in Ohio, pretty reputable and they vaccinate. I'm in Michigan. They are on pine shavings right now and I think they have good ventalation, it's hard because it can get pretty cold right now. Thanks for the medication, I ordered some today.

Thanks you! I got the chicks from an online brooder in Ohio, pretty reputable and they vaccinate. I'm in Michigan. They are on pine shavings right now and I think they have good ventalation, it's hard because it can get pretty cold right now. Thanks for the medication, I ordered some today.
Are you providing a heat source?

Back
Top Bottom