Need Rhode Island Red Rooster Confirmation

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PredatorMilk, Aug 17, 2013.

1. PredatorMilk

PredatorMilk Chirping

Aug 17, 2013
    Hello all!

I am in complete denial about the Rhode Island Red featured below (Morgan) being a Rooster. She/He crows (loudly) in the morning, is most certainly the alpha (and kind of a jerk) and is much braver than the rest. No sign of spurs yet but I read somewhere that they can take up to a year to come in and this lady/gentleman is around 4 months.

Are there any methods I can use to tell for sure? Help! and Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. PredatorMilk

PredatorMilk Chirping

Aug 17, 2013
    I feel compelled to add she crows all day as well.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, that appears to be a rooster. This is because of the large red comb, the pointy saddle and hackle feathers, the irregular red coloring on the wings, and the stance and body shape.

4. [​IMG]

This is a RIR pullet of a similar age. Quite a big difference in leg height, comb, wattles, tail, etc.

The bird you show is a Production red cockerel. 100% Time to end the denial. LOL

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  5. ROOSTER FOR SURE!!! Hens dont crow so.. He has a large comb = rooster, Big feet = rooster Everything about him says ROOSTER! he's a pretty boy!![​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Folks will go on and on about crowing hens, but never at this age. A hen that crows is older, usually with a hormonal imbalance. A bird under a year that's crowing is just flat a rooster.

7. PredatorMilk

PredatorMilk Chirping

Aug 17, 2013
    Thank you everybody! He is up for sale on craigslist. If anybody is in the Denver area and wants a free rooster... I would love to know that he is going somewhere nice. Our local ordinances don't permit a rooster and he is FAR too loud anyhow. http://denver.craigslist.org/grd/4009086758.html

Forgot to mention it in the ad, but I'll be looking for a no-kill destination.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: