Need Rhode Island Red Rooster Confirmation

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PredatorMilk, Aug 17, 2013.

1. PredatorMilk

PredatorMilk New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    Hello all!

I am in complete denial about the Rhode Island Red featured below (Morgan) being a Rooster. She/He crows (loudly) in the morning, is most certainly the alpha (and kind of a jerk) and is much braver than the rest. No sign of spurs yet but I read somewhere that they can take up to a year to come in and this lady/gentleman is around 4 months.

Are there any methods I can use to tell for sure? Help! and Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. PredatorMilk

PredatorMilk New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    I feel compelled to add she crows all day as well.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, that appears to be a rooster. This is because of the large red comb, the pointy saddle and hackle feathers, the irregular red coloring on the wings, and the stance and body shape.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]

This is a RIR pullet of a similar age. Quite a big difference in leg height, comb, wattles, tail, etc.

The bird you show is a Production red cockerel. 100% Time to end the denial. LOL

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  5. ROOSTER FOR SURE!!! Hens dont crow so.. He has a large comb = rooster, Big feet = rooster Everything about him says ROOSTER! he's a pretty boy!![​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Folks will go on and on about crowing hens, but never at this age. A hen that crows is older, usually with a hormonal imbalance. A bird under a year that's crowing is just flat a rooster.

7. PredatorMilk

PredatorMilk New Egg

Aug 17, 2013
    Thank you everybody! He is up for sale on craigslist. If anybody is in the Denver area and wants a free rooster... I would love to know that he is going somewhere nice. Our local ordinances don't permit a rooster and he is FAR too loud anyhow. http://denver.craigslist.org/grd/4009086758.html

Forgot to mention it in the ad, but I'll be looking for a no-kill destination.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by