need roo advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crzychicken, Jan 28, 2009.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Hi, I'm putting together a list of chicks to order for spring [​IMG] and I want to get 2 roo's [​IMG] what are the nicest one to breed your flock with and are good with the girls and us ? MY hens are RIR, Comets, Red Stars, Dom, JG, Astrop. and 2barrock bantam 3silikies,1 barama banty, 1 silikie roo
    Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    My choices if it were me RIR or Australorp from what you have listed. My personal preferences lean toward rose comb breeds but I am in a cold winter climate.

It's hard to choose trust me I know !!

Julie [​IMG]

3. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    I'm in cold climate also in Mass but my coop is insulated and they have a light if it gets below 0 also a small honda genarator to keep the light on.

4. vtchickenlady

vtchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    I have a barred rock roo and he is very protective of the girls. However, he is a very lusty fellow.

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have 3 Australorp roos and they seem really sweet so far.

6. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Out of my 5 roos I Got ( 4 where extras, one missexed) 4 BR and one EE, one passed away (RIP Freddy) And I am keeping the EE (Chipmunk) and a BR (still needs a name)

Out of 4 BR roos only one was mean and my EE respects me but highly dislikes ofter roos that's the only advice I have on roos.

7. jcog

jcog Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2008
    I have two Black Jersey Giants in with 5 RIR and 5 Australorps, don't get more than one Roster is my advice. They fight over the girls. I love my biggest one, Boss is his name and he will follow me around like a dog. Very calm! I have a Brown Leghorn in with 9 White leghorns and you have to fight him off every time you go in the pen, he's mean! I have also heard RIR can be mean.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Australorps are very laid-back birds. You'll want a pretty gentle roo in with the Silkies.

9. crzychicken

Jun 24, 2008
    Thanks for your advise all. I can't believe that Australop roos are gentle my australop girls are meanies. Does anyone have a buff Orp..roo nice/meanies ?

10. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    My best friend Freebie has a australorp/barred rock mix roo, but he looks like all australorp and he is very nice and laid back and not showing any agressiveness to humans. She has them all in a coop with even a mille feur roo and the bantam roo is something else. He is more aggressive than the full size australorp roo. I don't know about buff roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by