Need roost build help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tronracer, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Tronracer

Tronracer In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2018
    South New Jersey
    My roosts are 5 feet high. Poop boards below are 4 feet high. I plan to build a ladder on each side for the chicks to get up to roost. My friend said the roosts are too high. What do you guys think? Did I just waste 3 hours making this thing?

Attached Files:

2. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I wouldn't think so. My built in brooder cabinet has roosts over it that are cob level to me. Some birds like to roost on the shelf edge and have pushed each other down a few times. Worried me plenty but they are fine. They seem to like the height.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I think that height is great since it will give you so much space underneath. My highest poop shelf is close to 5 feet up, works great.

I don't have a ladder for the chickens... I have stuff set up so they can hop up if they don't want to fly. Think 1 to 2 foot hops. Works great and so much less space than a ladder.

Only chickens I have had that haven't wanted the highest perch was my Black Copper Marans Roosters. The hens could manage fine, but the rooster was too bulky and clumsy to make it, so I made one short low perch just for him.

Ruralhideaway likes this.
  4. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Here is my set up. It's quite high.
    20180212_082320.jpg
    20180212_082719.jpg

Tronracer likes this.
  5. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Songster

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    We have roosts at all levels in our coop. We have one at 2 feet, one at 3 1/2 feet, two at 6 feet and one at 7 1/2 feet. The higher the roost, the more popular it seems to be!
    Most of my chickens roost, but I have a couple that do not?!
    :)

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's fine, you'll like that board height for if/when you need to get under there.
    You could lower the roost height tho, to keep their heads further from the eave venting.
    Wondering why you didn't make your trays to fit the full width of roost, there will be 'misses'.

jthornton likes this.
  7. Tronracer

Tronracer In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2018
    South New Jersey
    I measured roughly 4 feet. (I didn’t realize how “rough” the measure meant was when I built the boards. I can always rebuild them. It’s fine for now. I got 2 (2x4) pieces of plywood cheap. Yes there’s a lot of room on the one side but I figured I would just put a ramp there to allow them to get up on the roost.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ah, well they won't need a ramp and chances are they will roost over to one side or the other.

9. Ruralhideaway

Ruralhideaway Crowing

Sep 21, 2017
    Upstate NY
    I guess you could add a sloped board to roll the droppings into the tray.

aart likes this.
  10. jthornton

jthornton Crowing

Aug 30, 2017
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    My Coop
    Some might roll but others will stick for sure...

JT

Ruralhideaway likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: