Need Rooster advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missoulachicken, Mar 15, 2013.

1. missoulachicken

missoulachicken New Egg

Jun 28, 2012
    Hello:

I'm trying to figure out if my rooster's level of "sexual energy" is normal or excessive.

I have 5 older hens (2-3 years), 4 younger hens (11 months), and one 11-month old Ameraucana rooster. The 4 young hens and rooster were raised together as chicks (I raised them). Since "coming of age," my rooster has certainly had his way with the flock - he mates constantly, and several of the girls have rough bare patches on their backs and behind their combs from his forcing his way on them.

The mating doesn't seem to bother the hens - much - although he does pick one of the older hens more often than others, and her back is especially raw, and she always squacks in loud protest and tries to escape when he comes after her. She also has taken to remaining in the coop when the rest are free ranging, seemingly to get away from him. Sometimes he runs back in and looks for her, like he's showing her she can't "get away" from him.

In general, their health is really good - in fact they laid ALL WINTER (I got 5-7 eggs a day), even in the short days (and I live in Montana and don't use a light). The flock in general seems to like being together, minus the protests when Roo climbs atop one of them.

What do you think? Besides the mating, Roo shows no aggression toward me, my husband, or my dog. He is a good protector and I like having him around, but dont' want to compromise the happiness of the flock for the rooster.

Thanks for any thoughts -

2. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Sounds like he's just doing his job. I have a rooster and he has favorites, to the point that I had to make capes for 2 of my girls to wear because they were bald on their backs and when their feathers tried to grow back in the shafts would break and bleed. I hear roos will calm down after a while, maybe a few years or so? We can only hope.

1 person likes this.
  3. missoulachicken

missoulachicken New Egg

Jun 28, 2012
    Thanks, Cotton 42. Where can I get these capes? Easy or hard to get them on the girls? Thanks much! Yes, I suppose I can wait it out and see if he calms down. ...

4. Cotton42

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Well I made my own and there are do it yourself instructions on the forums if you do a search for chicken apron, but if you're not crafty I'd bet there is someone out there selling them. I would try Esty.com or just Google chicken apron.

5. Cotton42

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Oh, and it was pretty easy to put them on the hens, just wait until after dark and do it then.

1 person likes this.
  6. LoveChickens123

LoveChickens123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah mine does that 2! i hope there feathers grow back!! and[​IMG]hope you like it!

7. aem2012

aem2012 New Egg

Jul 27, 2012
    Im having the exact same issue. I have four golden comets almost a year and the two bantam cochins 7 months. I have a golden laced wyandotte that was sold to me 6 months ago as a girl but is indeed a rooster. He has gone crazy!! And all in the past week or two since his crowing got better. Im worried the older girls will peck him down. Lol I guess only time with tell.

8. missoulachicken

missoulachicken New Egg

Jun 28, 2012
    Well, here's an update, it got pretty bad with the older hen. One day I came home and she was curled up in the corner with her head behind a bale of straw. Her back was raw. Hard to tell, but I'm guessing the hens were starting to pick on her too, along with the rooster and his mating. I took her out and set up a spot in my basement for her. I've also been bringing her to the garden on her own to free range and see if she feels better. I tried letting her out with the group while they were free ranging, but Roo saw her and ran over to her like a beeline to mate. I grabbed her and shooed him off.

She's been away for 4 days now and the flock has completely settled down. Roo is not as active, still some mating but not as incessant, and the other girls just shake him off. They all hang out together all day long. It's almost like removing the girl being picked on has returned the equilibrium. At first I thought of getting rid of Roo, but I'm not sure that's the right decision, either.

Now I'm not sure if I should re-home my hen or not. She is older and laying every 3 days or so. I could likely easily find a home for her, but not sure if I should try re-introducing her, first. She doesn't seem lonely in the basement, but she's not doing much. She is eating and drinking, though she just perches and naps most of the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by