1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need rooster help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Shilo7, May 1, 2016.

1. Shilo7

Shilo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2016
    My chickens are 13 weeks old. I have 4 roosters and someone will take 3 of them for me. One of the rosters will sit in my lap in the evening and I would like to keep this rooster. This rooster named little man is not the head rooster. The head rooster will crow when it is time to let them out for the start of the day. The head rooster will crow again when it is time to go back in the coop at night. All the chickens obey this head rooster. When the head rooster is gone will the hens obey Little man like they did the head rooster and will Little man know what to do. My husband does not want to worry about if the chickens are getting into the coop at night. Thank you

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    The chickens will go back into their coop at night whether a rooster is there to crow or not. It's possible your cockerel will take the place of the alpha bird once you get rid of the rest. There is, of course, no guarantee as you are dealing with live animals.

3. Bantambird

Bantambird Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2013
    Montana
    Ditto ^^

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Yes.

They nay have to adapt ro him but thibgs shiukd go smoothly.

5. Shilo7

Shilo7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2016
    Thank you for your help :)

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would not keep the lap sitter, more potential for him to turn human aggressive.....keep the head cockerel, and don't handle him unless necessary.
    You'll still have to be sure all the birds get into the coop at night and lock them up for safety....the girls will go to roost in the coop with or without a male in the flock.

2 people like this.
  7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I too would not keep the lap sitter. In chicken society, getting on your lap is very close to squatting for him. He interprets that as you being lower in the pecking order than he is. This website is filled with the darling becoming the nightmare. They tend to attack children, women and then men in that order.

I agree with Aart - you have a rooster that is managing the girls quite well, there is a reason that is the rooster they chose.

Mrs K

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2. "Friendly' can become aggressive all too often, and if you are new to chickens, it's easy to miss early signals of bad behavior. Keep the boy who stays out of your way and is only concerned about the girls. Mary

9. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I must agree with Mary

10. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Most roosters that are not at least a little afraid of you are the ones that think they can dominate you when the hormones kick in. I spoil the girls and ignore the boys from the time I first know their boys. I have my best luck with roosters that are raised with older hens that will teach him some manners.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by