Need roosting bar ideas

chicksooner

Songster
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
Oklahoma
I have a brick coop with a roosting bars on one end that cascade down and has 4 bars on it. Some of the chickens are opting to use nesting boxes rather than the bars. The coop has 10 guinea keets about 2.5 months old, 5 pullets, and a roo. There is plenty of room to add roosting bars but not really sure if I need to change the design or just add more to get everyone on it at night.

All of your roosts HAVE to be higher than the nest boxes, otherwise, the chickens will roost in the boxes. Either raise the roosts, or lower the nest boxes.
Jack

Is there a preferred distance to have the roost from the wall? Most of my girls roost on the top rail, but face the wall!

Something else to consider...what are you using for a roost? If it's too small it will be uncomfortable for them to sit on all night and they will look for an alternative. We use 2x4's with the birds roosting on the 4" side.

It's most highly recommended to have the tier part of the roost be made from 2 x 4's with the 4" side flat for better traction and footing control for chickens. Hope this helps some.

2x4s is a great idea. Makes since due to the size of my birds. Currently have 2x2s. Thanks for the brain nudge.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom