Need roosting bar ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicksooner, Sep 15, 2012.

1. chicksooner

chicksooner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I have a brick coop with a roosting bars on one end that cascade down and has 4 bars on it. Some of the chickens are opting to use nesting boxes rather than the bars. The coop has 10 guinea keets about 2.5 months old, 5 pullets, and a roo. There is plenty of room to add roosting bars but not really sure if I need to change the design or just add more to get everyone on it at night.

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    All of your roosts HAVE to be higher than the nest boxes, otherwise, the chickens will roost in the boxes. Either raise the roosts, or lower the nest boxes.
    Jack

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Consider blocking the nesting boxes at night to discourage roosting in them.

Chris

4. BeBobVal

BeBobVal New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Is there a preferred distance to have the roost from the wall? Most of my girls roost on the top rail, but face the wall!

5. chicksooner

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Roosts are higher than nesting boxes. Will have to figure out how to block the nesting boxes.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Something else to consider...what are you using for a roost? If it's too small it will be uncomfortable for them to sit on all night and they will look for an alternative. We use 2x4's with the birds roosting on the 4" side.

7. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    It's most highly recommended to have the tier part of the roost be made from 2 x 4's with the 4" side flat for better traction and footing control for chickens. Hope this helps some.

8. chicksooner

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    2x4s is a great idea. Makes since due to the size of my birds. Currently have 2x2s. Thanks for the brain nudge. [​IMG]

9. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    We also use the 2x4 flat side. I also carpet mine in the winter for warmer feet and more comfort

10. chicksooner

Aug 19, 2012
    Oklahoma
    What do you use for carpeting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by