Need Sausage seasoning recipes

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by EweSheep, Feb 12, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I need various recipes for breakfast sausages, Italian sausages, and bratwurst seasonings....for pork shoulder meats that I wanted to try out homemade sausage. I love Johnsville breakfast and dinner sausages but no recipes out there that is very similar to it.

I am using my KitchenAid meat grinder for all my pork shoulder meats.....and having too much fun!

Also, I got ground up dark turkey meat and wanting to make breakfast sausage out of those too!

Thanks!

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    whatever you do dont put too much salt in it, it will ruin it, add a little and salt to taste when you cook it, when i got my hog processed we had the sausage seasoned country style, i think they over salted it, and i dont like it, so just dont do that.

3. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    I have made most of my own breakfast sausage for the past few years using my KA meat grinder. Then I make patties out of the sausage and freeze them. One of the best recipes I have found for breakfast sausage is Alton Brown's on the Food Network web site. I like his method of mixing the pieces of pork with the seasonings before putting the mixture through the grinder. Be sure to include some fat trimmings from the pork butt. Sausage with no fat in it is healthy, but flavorless.

Breakfast Sausage

2 pounds pork butt, diced into small pieces
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    2 teaspoons finely chopped sage leaves or 3/4 t. dried rubbed sage
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
    1 tablespoon light brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Combine diced pork (along with fat) with remaining ingredients and chill for 1 hour. Run all through a meat grinder; form into patties and pan fry over medium-low heat until cooked through. Use within 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. *Inspired by recipe from Alton Brown.

Another good source for recipes is Sausage Mania:

http://www.sausagemania.com/recipes.html

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Peepless, that recipe was delicious but the amount I had for fresh vs dried herbs I had on hand was off kelter and it still tasted just fine.

I also omitted the fat and this time I am going to add fat, not sure what kind of fat I would need or would the cut itself be fine. I think they trim up to one fourth of an inch off from the roast or pork butt, as our butcher says.

I love making my own sausages!

5. peeplessinNC

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    It's kind of hard to really mess up sausage seasoning. I used some from Penzey's, but to be honest, I liked Alton's recipe better. I need to get a little bolder and use a bit more of everything when I season sausage. I've only got 2 patties left in the freezer. [​IMG]

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Thanks for the recipe and the link!

Steve in NC

7. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Bratwurst 10lbs
    7 lbs lean meat
    1 1/2 lbs pork butt
    1 1/2 lbs pork fat
    4 tbs salt
    3 tbs sugar
    4 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
    2 whole eggs
    1 1/4 tsp white pepper
    1 1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp mace
    1 tsp ginger
    1 cup of cold water
    2 cups whey or non fat dry milk
    Mix all well for 3-4 mins
    can stuff into casings 33-36 mm or make patties
    Must be eaten with 2-3 days or frozen..
    Also Have the recipe for venison as well for this one.

Ive made many venison smoked products from this book as well cured meats, deli/lunch meats also
    bear jerky, turkey jerky, deer jerky, bockwurst, Italian pepper sausage, farmers sausage, polish/kielbasa and many many others...venison taste very well in all the recipes..I own two smokers as well and can do about 100lbs of meat at a time.

I have a book of one the best sausage makers in the country and there are 100's of recipe in his book
    Eldon Cutlip

Charlie

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Wow that is alot for a bratwurst! What kind of lean meat are you talking about? Pork, beef or turkey? Or suggest kind of meat like pork loin, pork chop,etc. I dont see salt in the bratwurst recipe. Looks delicious!

Sorry I dont have a smoker but maybe I can use smoking liquid?

9. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Those recipes look great. I'm going to get a package of bear burger out of the freezer to try the breakfast recipe.

10. peeplessinNC

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    If you don't have any or not enough fat on the pork butt or shoulder that you are grinding up for your sausage, you can use chopped up bacon. The amount might be as follows: for 2 pounds of lean pork cubes use 1/2 pound chopped bacon; for 4 pounds of lean pork cubes use 1 pound chopped bacon - or a ratio of 4 parts pork to 1 part bacon. Some recipes call for pork fat back as the added fat, but depending on the area of the country where you live, fat back may be hard to find. Not so in the South.[​IMG] Whatever fat you use needs to be unseasoned. Sometimes all I can find is peppered and salted fat back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by