Need second opinions. on leg injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggsitter, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Eggsitter

Eggsitter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    southern maine
    Little rosecomb cant stand on one leg for several days now. Other leg is fine. She CAN use bad one to prop herself up a bit and walking on toes if she must.
    I have her inside, small cage. I am pretty sure she injured it falling between roost bars in new Eglu Go.
    I can't find info to help diagnose her can u help?
    1. How does a break feel, what do I look for?
    2. Her knee looked swollen for a time, is that a sprain?
    3. She can scratch her head w the foot but keeps it straight, weight plus bending it seems to be the issue. What does that indicate?
    4. Cant find a tendon issue, would it be obvious?
    5. B vitamins ACV and organic grain feed, mealworms, good appetite.
    She was always very delicate ball of fluff, scratched stuff backwards higher than any chicken I ever saw.

2. xmonster0

xmonster0 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Calhan Colorado
    im no expert but if she can clamp your finger with the bad foot , there is no break (as far as i know) if thats the case its just injured and will heal fine

just make sure the bird gets lots of water and food, if so it will heal ok

3. Eggsitter

Aug 10, 2012
    southern maine
    Thank you. Don't think she can clamp my finger at all. So it's a break?
    Thank you for trying to help, I havent splinted it & she is pretty much resting 58 minutes out of 60.
    Feel so bad for her.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Feel her leg,you are looking for a fracture,i would think if she had a break,she would not use leg at all. Give her an epsom salt soak for 15-20 minutes,this is good for sprains/sore muscles. Keep her separate,monitor her condition,make sure she is eating/drinking. Give her electrolytes/vitamins,for pain give her a baby aspirin(81mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight.

5. Eggsitter

Aug 10, 2012
    southern maine
    Thank you. Been up & down her leg, cant feel a thing. Started as a limp and has gotten worse over past few days. I also may have made it worse examining her for bumblefoot early on & KICKING MYSELF...
    Could she have trashed her knee like we can tear an ACL etc? Her foot slipped between a slotted floor and she likely tore her knee trying to get out. I just got an Eglu which has ridiculously slippery slotted floors. I took the whole bottom of the coop OUT.

6. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    It is possible,do the epsom salt soak,you could brace knee or entire leg, just to immobilize it. Give aspirin for pain and it does help with swelling.

7. Eggsitter

Aug 10, 2012
    southern maine
    Thanks will try all I can. She's a bantam pullett , a tiny little thing with a teeny tiny leg.

8. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If you have vet wrap(if not try velcro tape,small piece)wrap around knee/leg to brace it,not too tight,you do not want to cut off circulation. Make sure whatever you brace with,does not cut into skin. Remove at night so she can sleep.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  9. Eggsitter

Aug 10, 2012
    southern maine
    Should I tape whole leg or just knee?

10. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You could try knee if you feel that is where the problem is,but if it is uncomfortable/irritating for her just leave it uncovered. Keep her quiet and in a cage to limit mobility,this should help with healing. If uncomfortable,she may not eat/drink.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by