Need Security Upgrades

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rainbow Dash, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    I have a chicken coop that will, in about 2 weeks, be used. It needs the run installed, etc.

But what I'm concerned about here is that, well, an acre away from where we always are, there is a forest where I believe he came from. Multiple times I have seen cats, silver foxes, large owls, and other predators milling around the pasture. I know this is a huge threat. Before I move the animals in, I'm going to need to do some huge security upgrades, but what are some "goodies" I'll need to install for it?

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Use good metal galvanized wire all around and on the floor to prevent digging under and in, avoid using "poultry netting" aka chicken wire. Use good pressure treated wood or other materials like latches and etc. You don't have to get the most expensive stuff, but if you do it right the 1st time it will save you money from having to go buy what you should've used to begin with.

3. My11BabyChicks

My11BabyChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Ringwood
    Along with the galvanized fence we used a solar powered electrical fence for the same reasons! Works great! We ourchased it at Tractor Supply and was fairly cheap and very easy to install! Zereba is the brand! I also use night gaurds and solar powered motion lights. Good Luck! Be safe birds!

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use chicken wire on all my coops, a couple have 2"x1" horse wire for the runs. All runs are covered with chicken wire, except my one coop I keep the large layers in. All guillotine (sp?) doors are weighted so racoons can't lift them up. There are several motion lights set up around the coops, a couple are electric ones solar powered.

5. Rainbow Dash

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    Thanks everyone... But, do you think I should put a top on it, for protection against owls and hawks?

6. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Build the run 6' tall using 6' 2x4 opening welded wire including the top, this gives you room to walk around or sit and enjoy the birds without worry. Line the bottom of the walls with 1/2"hardware cloth to prevent "reach thrus" and skirt the outside with about 18" of wire that is attached to the base of the wall and allowed to simply lay on the ground to stop diggers. Be sure to use a coon proof latch on the entrances and pop doors (I use a hasp & loop and a snaplink). Use screws thru fender washers to secure the corners and about every foot of the wire to the frame and fill in with fence staples, not staple gun staples.

This will give you a run that you can let the birds come and go as they wish. Remember to allow 10sq ft per bird on the run and shade it. If you set your coop inside the run, you don't have to be concerned with wiring the coop windows or having a pop door entrance for the bird but elevate the coop so you don't use valuable run square footage but not so high as to let a coon on the roof reach thru and grab a bird. If the run is in a low spot or wet area consider pea gravel, sand, or other non-absorbant material to raise the elevation of the floor and use all weather wood wherever there is ground contact to eleminate a rot problem.

This building plan will protect you from hawks, owls, fox, coyotes, skunk, opossum, stray dogs, and any other critters that size. If rats, mink, weasel ets are an issue in your area the wire the whole thing with 1/2" hardware cloth instead of the welded wire.

7. Rainbow Dash

Jun 15, 2011
    Antarctica
    Thanks. I'll use that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by