Need Serama hatching advice, please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JudyMcKinn, Oct 28, 2008.

1. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    I have some Serama eggs coming from one of our BYC friends. She has told me they hatch in 19/20 days, so stop turning at 16 days, which I didn't know. I know they are difficult to hatch, and wonder if any of you who have hatched Seramas have any other advice for me that might help. I have some Silkies laying, and wonder if it would cause a problem for the Serama eggs if I put them in the same incubator with some Silkie eggs, putting the Silkie eggs in 2 days earlier, so they would all hatch at the same time? Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Staggered hatch is not a problem, but Serama eggs need a higher artificial incubation temperature & humidity than normal (this varies according to the incubator you're using). There are threads on BYC about it somewhere.

Here's one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23488 [​IMG]

I let a broody bantam hatch mine, it took a few days longer than the predicted 19 but it could have been because of the cool weather we were having or because they were naturally brooded. They took the normal 21 days to hatch.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
  3. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    Thanks. I wonder if I would be smart to put half dozen eggs under a broody Silkie hen, and half in the bator?

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I'd do it, never do like to waste a broody! [​IMG]

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:I wondered about that. My first batch took 20 days, i almost threw out the eggs because i thought something bad happened and for 2 days i sat by that box just starring at the hen who was hatching them. This is day 19 for 3 more babies under a different hen and so far only 1 pip. Now maybe i can get some rest tonight lol

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I am wondering about serama X cochin eggs myself. I have two in my bator right now on day three/four. I can already see some small veining in them. What should I do about the humidity then? It is sitting at 41% and has been down to 27% with the furnace kicking on. My other bantam eggs in there are fine - but will that hurt my itty bitty ones?

These are not shipped eggs and the hen is somewhere between a B & C size.

The temp has been fluctuating between 99.5 & 100.7 in a forced air hovabator.

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Wish i had an answer for ya pbjmaker but i don't have any experience with bators i have always left that job to the broody hens, lot less technical that way for me.

Darn it every post i have made today i've had to edit... work fingers work!!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  8. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Thanks - the hen that laid them is new to me and shows no interest in going broody and my other pullets are only 10 - 17 weeks old - so they are of no help. They need to start earning their keep darn it!

9. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm very interested in this thread. I want to put Serama and buttons in the same bator soon. Thank you for sharing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by