Need sex ID on 6 wk old SL Wyandotte

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bstruss, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Bstruss

Bstruss Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    These are supposed to be hens, but this 6 wk old beauty sure seems to have a lot of color in the facial and head tissue. But the feathers and tail look like the other hens (different breeds). Pullet or cockerel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I'm thinking pullets, beautiful birds!

3. mrsdee

mrsdee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2017
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    I'm guessing pullet. Even though there is color it still is a pretty small comb. Pretty bird!

4. Bstruss

Bstruss Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    Do Wyandotte hens have more color in the facial and head tissue? That is what confuses me.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    From the pictures there coms and wattles don't look very red. Also Silver Laced Wyandotte roosters tend to have patchy feathering.

6. mrsdee

Apr 25, 2017
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    From the pics I've seen, yes Wyandottes have red facial tissue, as do hens of many breeds that have reached POL (point of lay). Wyandottes also have small rose combs and I would think that if it was a cockerel it would be larger and more developed than that. But keep that in mind if it starts to grow rapidly. Just Google pics of Wyandotte hens and roosters to see the difference in size of the comb and wattles.

7. Bstruss

Bstruss Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    Thanks. Can anything be determined from the pics of the tail feathers or wings here at 6 wks?

8. mrsdee

Apr 25, 2017
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    Not really from just the feathers/pattern. In general, I've heard that cockerels feather out more slowly than hens. There are no other chickens in the pics so I can't really compare to anything else that you have. To me, this seems like a pullet. When they were growing did this one feather similarly to other ones? When it was younger were its wings as long as the body or were they noticabley shorter for a good while?

9. Bstruss

Bstruss Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2017
    My other hens came from a prior hatching that was two weeks older and they weren't wyandottes. This was a single that I bought to add to a hen that was lost to a predator. I will say that when I hold the bird, the wattle has a fair amount of red coloration.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It appears to be a pullet. The body shape and size and color of the comb points to it being a pullet. SLW pullets have less contrast in the black and white feathers where the darkest feathers are more grey than black. If you had a cockerel of the same age to compare her to, you would see the big difference. He would be more vivid, and his comb would be a deeper red and would be much larger, even at six weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by