Need silkie experts opinion

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by laughingllama75, Sep 20, 2009.

1. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Please tell me what you think of my blue cockerel. he was hatched in April....his foot feathering WAS there, but it is broken badly now. I figured out how that pen was doing it, but now I have to wait for it to grow out.
    I think his wings are wrong, and he has too many hard feathers in wing and tail??? Also, today I am noticing a few possibly lighter feathers in the hackle. [​IMG] but it was the wrong lighting. I will have to look tomorrow. I am not planning on showing him, but I have dark blue hen I wanted to breed him too..... ??? honest opinions wont hurt my feelings, i want to learn. thanks guys! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm not an expert on silkies by any means, but I was wondering if you could get closer photos of the comb and wattles? It seems a bit too red.

3. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    funny, the wattles and comb dont bother me....the comb is coming in pretty dark, especially for blue. the wattles look lighter, but the camera flash "helps" a little. these are fom last month, he doesnt have real big comb yet...but it is darker than the wattles. Hmmm. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I love him, look at all the good things, Crest and cushion are awesome. I am not sure how hard wing carriage is to fix but he would be a breeder here. I have lots of little girls that would help all his faults and the body type is just great (IMHO) OOps you said experts, thats not me but I am working on it like you.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    He looks worth breeding to me. Like Jaynie said, His crest is nice and his comb and wattles dont look red to me. He has a nice short back. He will probably turn out some nice offspring but the only way to know is use him and see what you get.

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:On this photo the wattles look fine, but on the second photo down, I don't know, I'm probably just being nit-picky.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    He is very nice, but I don't see his comb in any of the photos ?

Don't worry about the wing feathers--they are shredded enough, even if more might be better. Tail is nice and rounded--I don't see anything wrong there.

Very pretty boy! Show him; breed him.

8. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Couldn't see the comb in any of the pics...nice looking boy![​IMG]

9. laughingllama75

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Good to know about the wings, I was thinking they were pointed down too much.....
    I got this pic today of the comb, does this help?

[​IMG]

10. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I'm no expert, but VERY NICE!! I would definitely breed and show him. I haven't seen many Blue roos that look as good as he does. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by