1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need some advice about my chicks !!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbreak, Dec 21, 2011.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I have eight 2 week old Lavender Orps that I am raising in a brooder. I am really wanting to get a few silkies. I found some that are about 5 days old and some about a month old. Could I put them in the same brooder with 2 week olds. If so would it be better to get the younger ones or older ones?

2. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    depends on how crouded the brooder is. I would go with month old, I believe silkies are smaller than lf and that might make them on equal ground as they would be 2 weeks older. But I thought you were supposed to quarntine new birds for a month before introducing to your flock but I'm not sure with chicks.

3. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    If I were going to mix silkies and orp chicks I would definitely make sure the silkies were older. Would also be better if the silkies outnumbered the orps. Both breeds are pretty easy going but silkies are usually easily bullied.

4. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    S.L.Swope :

depends on how crouded the brooder is. I would go with month old, I believe silkies are smaller than lf and that might make them on equal ground as they would be 2 weeks older. But I thought you were supposed to quarntine new birds for a month before introducing to your flock but I'm not sure with chicks.

Yeah thats what I have read. I have my orps inside right now. I am going to put them in like a 4x7 run with the container thay are in and cut a door for the to go out in the run, Thought I might could keep them apart a week or so and then put them toghter. Each set would have there own container to sleep in the would open into the run, Really, really want some silkies. Thank you​

5. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Quote:So you think if I was gonna do it I need the older silkies and several of them. Thanks for the advice,

I am to addicted,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by